New Guy on the block - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
New Guy on the block

Hello Everyone,

I would love to start a nano planted fish tank! But I have no Idea how to begin and there is sooo much information on this forum it is overwhelming. I had a 55 gallon non planted tank that was going to transfer into a planted tank but it sprung a leak. Since I am moving soon I thought perhaps I should start small! so i discovered nano tanks and in turn discovered this site. So I thought I would ask you guys. Anytips for a beginner to the planted aquarium lifestyle?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Welcome to TPT.
Your should read this
https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/...Planted-Tank/4
It how it started and figured out what way to go.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Check out some of the shrimp bowls on this site. They're great for a beginner and on top of that you don't need to waste money on Equipment! (except for lighting).

Welcome to TPT!

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
ill warn you, a nano is harder than a medium-sized planted tank.
but cheaper since you need less money for it.

id say read this thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ini-novel.html
and follow along with it. now you dont need all ADA equipment, any old tank will do, a light bulb will burn just as nice in a cheaper light fixture, a cheaper CO2 regulator can work fine, etc, but know that ADA aquasoil is the best substrate out there. that said, when you buy ADA, you know its quality is superb. also, frank loves iwagumis, but if you want a jungle layout or dutch style aquarium, the same maintenance applies.
look up any plants on http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...nder/index.php and see which you like, which can do well in your system and so on.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
If you are not looking for a high end look (ADA or other rimless, slick light fixture, etc) and just want to get going, I recommend you start with a standard 10 gallon tank with an incandescent light hood. You can probably find this really cheap used and it shouldn't be too expensive new.

I have several reasons for this:

First, a 10 gallon is small enough to give you the nano "vibe" but big enough to where bigger mistakes are less deadly than a smaller tank (if you make a mistake in a 10 gallon and something bad happens, it is pretty likely the same thing would happen in a 20).

Second, you are able to keep more stable parameters than smaller tanks. You can run a fairly decent sized filter on a 10 gallon, you can find heaters that are well made, reliable, and long lasting. You can do all this without breaking the bank as well.

Most importantly, if you buy the incandescent hood you can really fine tune your lighting as you can get anything from 6 watt bulbs to 23 watt bulbs (x2). Light is always going to be the most important factor and being able to swap bulbs without swapping a whole fixture really allows you to learn what you can do with what amount of light. It also allows you to see what happens when you go to far without being stuck with a high dollar light fixture that just isn't going to work.

Now, the other option is to copy something someone else has done. If you do this, don't cut any corners, ever piece they have is important. You likely will never know exactly what someone does or does not do to keep their tank up though. You still have to learn as well, it doesn't just automatically work how their tank did.

-Matt

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First off what des ADA mean I did not see that in the glossary of terms?

Yea I think I like the 10 gallon tank idea. That is how I started with my first tank. Guess it is only right to do the same with a planted tank. Especially with the ability to have a filter. That would save me from having to clean so often.

I thought about copying someone elses idea but that felt like cheating. haha.

So i guess the first step is to get a tank! I like the idea of taking pictures of one's progress so I think I may have to do that.

Thanks guys im loving this place already!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUMKIN81 View Post
First off what des ADA mean I did not see that in the glossary of terms?

Yea I think I like the 10 gallon tank idea. That is how I started with my first tank. Guess it is only right to do the same with a planted tank. Especially with the ability to have a filter. That would save me from having to clean so often.

I thought about copying someone elses idea but that felt like cheating. haha.

So i guess the first step is to get a tank! I like the idea of taking pictures of one's progress so I think I may have to do that.

Thanks guys im loving this place already!!
ADA is an acronym for "Aqua Designs Amano." ADA website. Be warned, much of what they carry gets the palate salivating. But as suggested, high quality goods does not make for an inherently successful planted-tank; it just means you know the equipment is good: knowledge is power here; be sure to take your time and read, read, read (just about everything you need to know is here).

A filter is good for many reasons but it doesn't necessarily mean less maintenance. Filter or no, most planted tanks require a degree of maintenance which often depends on the plants you have, which can influence the overall setup and thus, your maintenance routine.

Imitation is the best form of flattery, so they say - or something along those lines. There's nothing at all wrong with 'copying' or trying to duplicate what others have done; it can be a good challenge for anyone, for example, and/or a great learning experience for the beginner. In comparison to the majority here, I'm a beginner myself and am constantly being motivated by what I see: I started a bowl a la Newman style, have made changes to my 29g from what I've learned (DIY CO2, for instance), started a budget 1.5g mini shrimp cube--with ghost shrimp for the experience--and am researching the next tank - a 5 or 10 gallon cherry shrimp tank.

Definitely take pictures. I started off doing so but then didn't take the time as time went on and now I wish I had more visual documentation to share here.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." -Twain
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How about lighting do you have any suggestions? I can not find any with the right amount of wattage for plants.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would recommend a Work Lamp with a 6500k CFL light bulb in it, that'll take care of most plants' lighting needs. and if you're going for a low tech then about 1 1/2 wpg should do fine.

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUMKIN81 View Post
How about lighting do you have any suggestions? I can not find any with the right amount of wattage for plants.
For what tank? You can find a light for any tank that is off the shelf to grow plants, well most of them.

-Matt

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

a 10 gallon 20 inches long.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I like these, they are not pretty but they have their advantages...I have probably explained it like 5 times in 3 days lol- http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...LAID=525399825

You can find them used for cheaper.

The main reason I recommend these is that you can use CFL bulbs. You have 2 sockets. You can go from anywhere from about 20 watts to over 50 watts by changing out the bulbs. You can go even really low light (not enough to grow anything, maybe some moss) by using an incandescent bulb as well. I just like the flexiblity of being able to go from low light, medium, or high with some bulb changes. You can't really do that with florescent tubes.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode