5gal hex cherry red sex tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
5gal hex cherry red sex tank

here is a small journal of my shrimp breeding tank

so i was at petco and got lucky, they had a complete 5 gal hex setup with filter and heater for only 25$ on clearance!!! i just had to, but dont tell my wife, she thinks someone gave it to me as a random gift!!!

package came oh yeah!!

Shot at 2012-05-29

set up the small guy
used a piece of wood from my 90 gal and aquasoil as my substrate, i'll be running diy co2 on this one

Shot at 2012-05-29

after i trimmed my 90 gal i took the trimmings over to this lil guy to see how they do

Shot at 2012-05-29

so far i have about 4 cherry reds, and 3 lime green shrimps, but luckily my buddy works at the lfs, thanks tyler most shrimpies were berried babys coming soon!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so this is current, my previous post was about 1 1/2 months ago

needless to say with little to no co2 my plants took off, i havent changed my co2 in a few weeks and they havent struggled at all, in fact are growing better in this tank then my 90 gal running pressurized co2 with high lights!!

Shot at 2012-05-29

Shot at 2012-05-29

Shot at 2012-05-29

Shot at 2012-05-29

and my few shrimp now turned into almost 40 shrimps!!!! crazy sex machines!!

Shot at 2012-05-29

sorry for quality of pics, just have my phone to use for now.... as you can tell i have have a little algea from lack of co2 but the babies love it too much to get rid of so i will let them take care of it for me
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

shrimp!!

By cakenutz at 2012-05-31

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 04:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hey, I love the hex. I've got a five gallon rectangle with a bunch of baby RCS. But I've got snails out the ass in there. I'm worried they're competing for food... I wish I had started out with no snails...

"How miserable is the man that Governes a People where six of seaven at least are Poore Endebted Discontented and Armed."-1676 - Governor of Berkeley, Virginia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 04:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
do you know if the lime green shrimp are the same species as the RCS? they might interbreed if they are and all turn brown. it would be unfortunate.

anyways, the title of this made my day.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice looking shrimp and tank
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

not sure if the green is the same species, i think it is, but im not too worried i did this take for fun and will be seperating them, putting the red in a 10 gal that im building....

thank you for the comments, and i also have a small snail issue, it started with one, but for some reason i forgot to take the lil bastard out, now i have about 12, ugh

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've heard and am going to try today, after spelunking, that you can place a cucumber or zucchini slice in your tank then after an hour or two scrape crazy amounts of snails off. Then just put it back in the same spot. Rinse and repeat. I hope it works.

"How miserable is the man that Governes a People where six of seaven at least are Poore Endebted Discontented and Armed."-1676 - Governor of Berkeley, Virginia

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I usually don't like hex tanks but this one looks really nice.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by averittexpress View Post
I've heard and am going to try today, after spelunking, that you can place a cucumber or zucchini slice in your tank then after an hour or two scrape crazy amounts of snails off. Then just put it back in the same spot. Rinse and repeat. I hope it works.
ive also heard this, i believe i even tried it a few years back, but i cant remember

and thanks radio man, i just threw it together, didnt really try arranging anything since its temperary

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

noticed something this afternoon...... water looked cloudy, hmmmm wasnt algea... then as i stepped closer i saw this horrible site

By cakenutz at 2012-06-08

By cakenutz at 2012-06-08

last night my cat, swazy, aka dip [censored][censored][censored][censored] knocked the co2 canister (diy) off the table hence the cloudy water, killed about 30 shrimp..... really pissed me off, i even noticed i had a killifish die in my other tank..... ugh crappy day

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
That really stinks, I've done my share of shrimp kill'n and it's no fun to see that, I hope you get it cat proof and back in order soon.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

BUMP NEED HELP!!

so i will be moving my 5 gal into my 10 gal (which is one of my journals also in the journal thread, check it out!)

but i have a lighting question

so i have a coral life double strip 24'' im using, its pumping out 28 watts, leaving it in for about 12 hours a day for emersed setup due to not much water.... i was wondering how high i should have the lights above the tank?? its air tight sealed with saran wrap so i have it 1/2 inch above the rim right now, but im wondering how high they should be, i mean its only 2.8 wpg but any thoughts? im planning on hanging it tonight, need some advice

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'd sand hang it about 6in from the water line (or what will become the waterline) You can always lower/raise it if you need to, but I'd start on the higher end so you don't burn your plants to a crisp.

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

well since im only running 2.8 wpg and i keep the plants really moist, air tight with like 5 layers of saran wrap lol i am keeping the lights about an inch from the top of the tank, i just want my baby tears and glosso to take off, so far so good, and i just hung them, here is the future 5 gal cherry sex tank

By cakenutz at 2012-06-18

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode