Potential 5 Gallon Aquarium: Experience needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Potential 5 Gallon Aquarium: Experience needed

I'm thinking of purchasing this tank
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It'll be a low-tech RCS and red ramshorn tank.

Does anyone here have any experience with this tank and think this is a good deal/idea?
The filter seems like a decent one, unlike other kits. The hood looks like it'll take CFL's that will support medium lighting.

I know it's not the fanciest tank, but is it of good quality? Has anyone derimmed one of these? If possible I would remove the top rim.

I called my LFS today and a basic 5 gallon glass tank is $30 there which I think is way too much. It's an expensive store RCS are 6.50 a piece there. I'll have to order most everything online.

If I do get this tank I'll probably fill it with 10 pounds of Petco Black Sand and have Java moss, Java moss, Anacharis as my main plants.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
It's your basic 5.5, looks like. For those kind of tanks, the focus is just on the stuff you put inside it, rather than the equipment AND the scape. It'll work. You can def derim it. I have one like that, but I was too lazy to derim. Thankfully, the top rim on mine is a little less noticeable than the one in that pic.

RAOK club #37

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
You can find basic 5.5 gallon tanks for super cheap - new or used for like, 10 bucks. If you are going rimless, check out some of the tanks at Meijer- they are actually pretty fancy looking and will run you about 30 bucks. If you're looking for RCS, shoot me a PM and I can hook you up.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm a student at Northwestern so I don't have access car to get to Meijer. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Lack of a car also means I probably wouldn't be able to pickup any RCS from you.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you can't bus or get a ride, try first class mail parcels. You'll get a way better deal here than other places online. Also craigslist is your friend. I got my 5.5 from the curbside near the college dorms on my way home. Maybe that's not for everyone, but hey.

RAOK club #37

|
|
|
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
maybe get a finnex 4g kit?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
If you can't bus or get a ride, try first class mail parcels. You'll get a way better deal here than other places online. Also craigslist is your friend. I got my 5.5 from the curbside near the college dorms on my way home. Maybe that's not for everyone, but hey.
Nobody on here is selling a 5.5.

I have scoured craigslist to no avail I'm afraid. There's not much on it, especially when my travel distance is limited to public transit or my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
maybe get a finnex 4g kit?
Everybody seems to recommend this but I can't find them anywhere!

The only place that seems to sell them is Ebay and they're ridiculously expensive on there.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

have you checked finnex.com? they used to have the finnex 4 of amazon.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah, there's nothing there.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

maybe they discontinued it. that stinks!

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aben314 View Post
Nobody on here is selling a 5.5.

I meant for the cherries, once you get the tank. shipping a tank is a pain. Also you can't ship a tank FCM.

Out of curiosity, if you're a student, why are you setting this up now right before break? I guess you're planning to stay at school over the break? I've heard stories about people having a heck of a time trying to move their tanks to a new dorm/apartment etc etc.

well, good luck, whatever you end up doing.

RAOK club #37

|
|
|
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:01 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
The Finnex 4 gallon has disappeared from the web.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
I meant for the cherries, once you get the tank. shipping a tank is a pain. Also you can't ship a tank FCM.

Out of curiosity, if you're a student, why are you setting this up now right before break? I guess you're planning to stay at school over the break? I've heard stories about people having a heck of a time trying to move their tanks to a new dorm/apartment etc etc.

well, good luck, whatever you end up doing.
Oh ok, I'll definitely be ordering a cherries from TPT.

I'm on the quarter system here so I still have about a month left on campus.
If possible I was going to order everything before I leave so that when I come back I'll have everything I need to set it up in my apartment as soon as possible.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I am a student at UIC and live in Orlando during the summer months. Just wondering if you knew of any good LFS in either area? I used to live in the NW suburbs of Chicago before moving to the city for school, but the family moved to Orlando last year, so all my old LFS's are out of reach for me now.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

There aren't really any good LFS for freshwater as far as I can tell. You might want to check the Florida sub-forum. Anything you're specifically looking for?
I tend to order most of my stuff online.

Where in Orlando are you? Maybe we can swap stuff in the summer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode