Unobtrusive filter for nano? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Unobtrusive filter for nano?

Nothing ruins a mini aquascape quite like a gigantic HOB...

This is a low-tech 6 gallon. Easy plants, no ferts, no CO2 is the plan right now.

The filter looks WAY worse in person than it does in pics. So I was hoping to get some suggestions.

I need something to filter/move the water, but also look unobtrusive. I will be adding a bit more plants in the background but probably not enough to completely cover the eyesore that's there right now.

I can't use a canister cause the tank is on my dresser, so what do I do for an elegant solution? I use Azoo Palms on my 2.5 gallons so I could always do that, although I hate how they return water down and not out onto the surface. They disturb plants and don't break surface film.

The only planned inhabitant for this tank right now is a betta, so do I even need a filter? Could I get away with an airstone to circulate the water and break the surface, and let the plants do the filtering? Would an airstone be bad for plant growth?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
get a backing for the tank even black paint would work i used water based acrylic and painted mine i was just really carefull not to get it on the rim so i knew it was not near the water and that will hide the stuff behind and then any plants you want can hide the intake. i use a sponge over the out flow of my hob to keep the water from messing up the substrate plus its another place for good bacteria
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
1: Canister filter with sweet lily pipes
2: Paint back of tank black and make something like this out of half a piece of PVC piping. It will be black, matching the paint and act as a surface skimmer removing any film on the surface.

~B

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
The simplest solution would to put a background on the tank. Black always makes the plants pop.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks guys! If I didn't want to put a background on it for now, what would be my options? What are some good tiny nano filters? Or would having just an airstone work?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
The "Hagen Mini Elite" filter is an option, though it is rated for up to three gallon tanks. Maybe use two, one on each end? They are about $8 each, and have a changable flow speed. Some people have had issues with the flow speed being too fast even on low settings, which is solvable by adding more sponge inside the filter. You can also add an inline air bubbler!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 03:56 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You could try hanging the filter on the side. Not only will it disperse clean water lengthways through the tank, but you won't even notice it in dark pictures like the one you posted, since none of it is behind the clear glass.

"Biology has at least 50 more interesting years."-James D. Watson
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shank View Post
You could try hanging the filter on the side. Not only will it disperse clean water lengthways through the tank, but you won't even notice it in dark pictures like the one you posted, since none of it is behind the clear glass.
I would assume OP cant do this due to the hood/light combo thats on the tank, though it would help.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Sadly I can't put the filter on the side, there's not enough room with the hood.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I had the Petco 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank and removed the rim and replaced the light with a Coralife strip. It was so sleek-looking, with room on the end for a little ZooMed canister filter....that's only if you want to replace your light/hood combo.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Turtle.../dp/B0002DIRPU

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
40 breeder reef

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode