first planted, lost in the details - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
first planted, lost in the details

Hey all,

Im looking at making my first planted tank (had plants in tank before... didn't pay them enough attention... not gone so well). So anyway, the tank is an Aquastart 320 (32L x 32W x 38H) with just the standard 11w PL fluoro installed. I'm planning on using DIY CO2 on the tank and thinking of dosing with SeaChem Flourish and API Leaf Zone (not Prime as I had before. My bad). The plan at the moment is to breed Red Cherry Shrimp as well as grow out swordtail fry in the tank. That makes it 3 out of 3 for things that I'm relatively new to.

My questions are these; what substrate would you suggest for the tank, ideally black/dark to show up colours well, will these be the right additives for me/ are there any others I'll need?

I'm afraid I'm not sure what plants I'll be getting for the tank yet, but with the limitation of the light they'll obviously be low light ones.

thanks for any advice guys, appreciated.

Schmitee

Edit: now thinking of having java fern, java moss and hygro difformis

Last edited by Schmitee; 05-11-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well IME with my RCS I have eco-complete has my substrate. I love it because like your saying black/dark which mean is and makes the shrimp pop with there red color. Also for every shrimp tank I have. I always have moss in the tank for them.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply GMYukonon,

I'm now looking more at using an inert substrate and using a base substrate of a mix of clay and worm castings and then making tablets of the same, with slightly higher ratio of castings as I've read some have had decent success with these DIY tablets. Just wanting to know how this would compare to the commercial plant specific substrates in terms of plant growth and overall tank health. It seems like mosses are a popular choice in shrimp tanks so thanks for your input.

any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

Schmitee

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 05:24 AM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Research mineralized topsoil. This article is where I first heard of it...http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...on-talbot.html

It's time consuming, but works really well. There are literally hundreds of threads floating around. Typically you will have a base layer of dirt and additives, and 1" or so of capping substrate (fluorite, Eco complete, black gravel, ect). If done right, you'll be set at low and medium light levels.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode