ADA vs Mr Aqua rimless tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA vs Mr Aqua rimless tanks

Im going to be buying a 7.5 cube (or a 30c) next week. I was just curious on what people felt about them. Im comparing the Mr. Aqua 12 inch cube to the ADA one... any preferences out there? Chances are I will be buying a regular glass one, not a high clarity / low-iron tank... as due to the small size, I doubt I would reallly see a drastic change in the glass.

However I just want to know how people felt about one vs the other. Ive heard many great things about both... so what are your opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this thread is not going to end well

I personally think that the ADA glass and construction is unsurpassed. Worth the money of you ask me.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lludu View Post
Im going to be buying a 7.5 cube (or a 30c) next week. I was just curious on what people felt about them. Im comparing the Mr. Aqua 12 inch cube to the ADA one... any preferences out there? Chances are I will be buying a regular glass one, not a high clarity / low-iron tank... as due to the small size, I doubt I would reallly see a drastic change in the glass.

However I just want to know how people felt about one vs the other. Ive heard many great things about both... so what are your opinions?
Actually, it makes more of a difference in nano's than it does in larger tanks IME.

IIRC Mr. Aqua is roughly equivalent to the Do!Aqua line, which is perfectly acceptable quality wise. The current Do!Aqua tanks are comparable or even slightly superior in quality vs. older ADA tanks with the thinner/greener glass, because the glass is slightly thicker with the D!A tanks.

I've never had a Mr. Aqua tank but I've seen them and I'd say in terms of quality, it's Mr. Aqua -> Older ADA -> Current Do!Aqua -> Current ADA.

Basically it comes down to the fact that a tank is a tank is a tank. Having ADA isn't going to magically make your scape better, or algae free (oh, how I wish), and it's perfectly possible to make mindblowing scapes in a pet store 2.5

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What do you mean by older ADA tanks? Are you talking about the new ones with the ADA sticker vs the older one?

|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

E-series E60 on ADA60F - MicMol AquaMini x3 on ADA 60P - MicMol AquaPro on ADA30C
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
What do you mean by older ADA tanks? Are you talking about the new ones with the ADA sticker vs the older one?
Some older ADA tanks have thinner/greener glass, they changed over to thicker, low iron content glass a few years ago, not sure when. I have old logo tanks with "new" low iron glass, exact same as the new logo ones. It's a little confusing, I admit.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have a 1 yr. old ADA 30c and The quality is excellent and glass clarity is very noticeable compared to regular tanks. The only problem is that they are expensive and if you want to set up another tank in the future you will probably end up spending a lot more because you are not going to want to go back to regular glass.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavecorps View Post
I have a 1 yr. old ADA 30c and The quality is excellent and glass clarity is very noticeable compared to regular tanks. The only problem is that they are expensive and if you want to set up another tank in the future you will probably end up spending a lot more because you are not going to want to go back to regular glass.
It's true.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
The real question is what is the price difference. In a nano tank its usually not much. IMO its worth the extra 20-30 bucks.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
The real question is what is the price difference. In a nano tank its usually not much. IMO its worth the extra 20-30 bucks.
Mr. Aqua and Do!Aqua are both 50$ for a low iron 30cm cube, ADA is 75$

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:51 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
Mr. Aqua and Do!Aqua are both 50$ for a low iron 30cm cube, ADA is 75$
I have a 60P and a Mr. Aqua 12" cube right next to each other. Night and day imo. I'm going to be replacing the Mr. Aqua with the ada 30c soon. Should've spent the extra 25 in the first place. Money well spent.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
At that small a size and price difference go for an ADA tank. I really like Mr. Aqua tanks and I get them from one of my suppliers in the 30c size all the time. Build quality is nice and glass is very clear but if you're only buying one small tank no reason to get cheap. If you were looking to get a 60P or something large then the price difference becomes more of a factor...
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The Mr Aqua/Do Aqua tanks are nice if you're on a tight budget, don't get me wrong, but ADA tanks just blow them out of the water. The low iron glass is the biggest point... and the silicone work is literally flawless. Now that I have my 60-P I could never go back to standard glass tanks. Even non-aquarists that come over to my place comment on how nice the tank itself is... and it's empty lol.

Here is another post I made about the exact same topic, with pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
At first, I wondered what all the hype about ADA tanks was... until I got my 60-P. Now I understand. They're really a work of art, the craftsmanship is amazing. I think it was worth every penny I paid for it, everyone that's come over to my house to buy plants/equipment/etc. has oohed and aahed at it. Of course, that's not to say the Mr Aqua wouldn't be nice too, but I've seen a few of them and the silicone work is nowhere near as neat and that combined with the iron glass was the biggest dealbreaker for me.

Sorry if these pics belong to someone on here, but I found them on Google Images. :P
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is there any problems with low iron compared with regular glass? I thought I read it being much easier to scratch which causes caution with me buying one. Quality wise if its that much difference between Ada and Mr aqua I'll pick up a 30c regular, if scratching is a non issue I'll pick the high clarity/low iron
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've never heard of low iron being easier to scratch. Just don't drag some diamond tip bits across it and you'll be fine?

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Low-iron glass is definitely easier to scratch than regular tank glass but it is a lot more sturdy and tough than acrylic. That said - the fear of scratches being a nightmare that some people seem to have is a bit misplaced.

I think the real issue with scratches is that they're just easier to see in low-iron glass and become more of an eyesore than with regular glass.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode