Newbie and new 2.5 gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Newbie and new 2.5 gal

Hey all, brand new to the whole planted tanks, but looking to get started with a planted 2.5 gal tank for RCS. I already did quite a bit of research on what plants to use.

What I'm looking for: pretty simple tank that definitely won't need CO2 and preferably not fertilizer (but if needed, I can do it)

What I have so far:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120508_210022.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	47160

Substrate: ADA Amazonia New
Lighting: 13W CFL
Plants: TBD (plan below)
fore/midground: HC, DHG, Anubias nana (maybe Blyxa Japonica instead?)
background: bacopa monnieri or rotala rotundifolia (any opinions on which one?)
DW: attach taiwan moss
and idea as far as planting:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Idea.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	47161

What do you guys think in regards to what I have for lighting, plant selection, and layout?

Last edited by fr0sty; 05-10-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Invert Warrior

Your lighting might be overkill by a tiny bit. But your plant selection is good.

Lets see.. On your layout, I'd move the mid grass away from the rocks and keep a flat plane of some kind of short grass/moss floor. And have a grass field to the left of the rocks.

That's just what I'd try. It looks good to me.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice MABJ!

What do you mean by overkill on the lighting? What effect will having too much light do to the plants and what can I do to reduce it?

I plan on putting the rocks in the middle of the tank (mid-ground), do you recommend putting the grass field in the mid- or fore-ground?

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What light is that and where online could I buy one if so?
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
The light isn't overkill. Whats the K on your bulb? 5000k or 6500k is good for your kind of tank. I'm no expert on plant layout so I'll leave that to someone else. Otherwise everything looks good.

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwwwd82 View Post
What light is that and where online could I buy one if so?
The light's manufacturer is GILIGHT, but I got it while I was in Taiwan, so I don't think you'd be able to find it here. There's probably similar ones online, but they're probably much more expensive here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisheriesOmen View Post
The light isn't overkill. Whats the K on your bulb? 5000k or 6500k is good for your kind of tank. I'm no expert on plant layout so I'll leave that to someone else. Otherwise everything looks good.
The bulb that came with it is 8000K, but I bought a spare that's 6500K since I was unsure if I'd be able to find one here in the US (bought everything in Taiwan). 8000K just means it'll be really white right?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would recommend using your replacement, 8000k is not very strong.

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Light is fine if you add some floating plants. I have a 13W over my 2g, but it's taller than it is long.

I would do medium/higher-light plants, no anubias nana. Maybe blyxa japnica? It'll probably turn red under the light. Why stick with garden variety low-light plants when you have the wattage to do more?

Nice paint job

current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| retired:

|
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wattage doesn't matter as much. That just shows how much energy and heat is outputed. 8000k is the light level of like 60-100 ft below surface(i think). 2500k is what you see just below the surface (this would fry your plants). I say go with the 6500k and save yourself the hassle.

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Light is fine if you add some floating plants. I have a 13W over my 2g, but it's taller than it is long.

I would do medium/higher-light plants, no anubias nana. Maybe blyxa japnica? It'll probably turn red under the light. Why stick with garden variety low-light plants when you have the wattage to do more?

Nice paint job
Thanks for the input, what kind of floating plants do you have? and blyxa sounds like a good plant, but if I put in floating plants, will it still thrive? I was thinking anubias to get some different shapes in there, but it seems like with the lighting, it'll probably grow algae.

As you can see, I'm a paint PRO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisheriesOmen View Post
Wattage doesn't matter as much. That just shows how much energy and heat is outputed. 8000k is the light level of like 60-100 ft below surface(i think). 2500k is what you see just below the surface (this would fry your plants). I say go with the 6500k and save yourself the hassle.
I looked it up and it seems that around 5000-7000k is full spectrum light that's good for plants. The higher K is more white/blue spectrum and more for corals/saltwater/etc.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
With your plant selection and lighting you definitely need to dose ferts but you don'
t need CO2 gas. Just grab a bottle of Seachem Flourish Excel or API CO2 Booster and use that instead of CO2 gas. Much easier.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overgrowth View Post
With your plant selection and lighting you definitely need to dose ferts but you don'
t need CO2 gas. Just grab a bottle of Seachem Flourish Excel or API CO2 Booster and use that instead of CO2 gas. Much easier.
I took a quick look and it looks like it needs to be dosed daily. What do you do and what dose?

Also, I was thinking about getting a marimo ball, will the seachem kill it?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Awesome light, but probably better on a bigger tank. Then again, algae is a plant!

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 03:49 AM
Invert Warrior

Sorry but Watts do matter to some degree.

Yes the K rating matters more, but if you're going with lower light plants, it matters less.

As I said, the light will be fine, but such a large light may be overkill in a few ways. 1: The look. 2: The inhabitants may be a bit overwhelmed, you never know 3: Depending on the type of bulb you pick, the heat.

Fr0sty, don't be confused. Ferts do different things than Co2 does. They are NOT the same.

Marimo balls will be fine in your tank. They're algae and very resilient.

If you do choose to do Co2, you'll have much less of an algae issue. But if you keep marimo balls, RCS and maybe ONE nerite snail, you could easily pull off an algaeless tank.

Floating plants will not inhibit low light plants, like Anubias Nana. I would avoid duckweed, tho x.x

Without floaters, you could certainly try some higher light plants.

This brings me to my final point: You will probably need co2 with such a strong light.

(A neat plant which will show you if you have low or high light is ludwigia repens. It turns red with high light and green with low light.)
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
As I said, the light will be fine, but such a large light may be overkill in a few ways. 1: The look. 2: The inhabitants may be a bit overwhelmed, you never know 3: Depending on the type of bulb you pick, the heat.

If you do choose to do Co2, you'll have much less of an algae issue. But if you keep marimo balls, RCS and maybe ONE nerite snail, you could easily pull off an algaeless tank.

Floating plants will not inhibit low light plants, like Anubias Nana. I would avoid duckweed, tho x.x

Without floaters, you could certainly try some higher light plants.

This brings me to my final point: You will probably need co2 with such a strong light.

(A neat plant which will show you if you have low or high light is ludwigia repens. It turns red with high light and green with low light.)
Light doesn't look good with the tank?

Should I look for another tank then? Maybe a 5 gal cube?

Why do you say just "ONE" nerite snail? Do they reproduce like crazy?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode