1 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 gallon tank

hi guys so i had a 1 gallon tank lying around that i had to use for a betta overnight. ive removed the light that came with it and jerry-rigged a 9w cfl onto it. now from all the research ive done its 1watt per gallon. so with a 9 watt light and a diy co2 system do i have a low-tech high-light system that i can use for starting plants for my big tank ( java moss, java fern, hornwort, water lettuce,) and anyone have any ideas on how i could put a filter on this? and would i be able to keep ghost shrimp in this as well? or do they need a specific temperature of water?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P050512_18.01.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	46920  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P050512_18.04.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	46921  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Get the Elite filter ... it's tiny, that's what I'm going to put int my daughter for 1g Hex aquarium that she wants to put a betta in ...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyianara69 View Post
Get the Elite filter ... it's tiny, that's what I'm going to put int my daughter for 1g Hex aquarium that she wants to put a betta in ...
ty i'll look into that do you know who makes it?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djboyles View Post
ty i'll look into that do you know who makes it?
He's Referring to the Elite brand name, owned by Hagen. Elite is an offshoot brand of them like Fluval is.

Here is an Amazon link:
Hagen Elite Underwater Filter
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Yup .. that's the one ... it's my DIY CO2 Diffuser also
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lludu View Post
He's Referring to the Elite brand name, owned by Hagen. Elite is an offshoot brand of them like Fluval is.

Here is an Amazon link:
Hagen Elite Underwater Filter
kool ty
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

im definatley gonna get me one of those i was trying to figure out how to disperse the co2 in my tank
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok now that i got filtration and co2 diffusion figured out will i be able to grow plants in this thing? and how much substrate should i use?and ghost shrimp yay or nay?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
ok now that i got filtration and co2 diffusion figured out will i be able to grow plants in this thing? and how much substrate should i use?and ghost shrimp yay or nay?
If you dont plan on having anything living in the tank then why filter it at all???

I have a 1.75 gal without filtration or co2 and with minimum light and it thrives (has RCS in it too)

You can grow plants in any container. I cut off 2 liter pop bottle tops and put some substrate in them and grow plants emersed.

For substrate I would have at least one inch if not 1.5. And ghost shrimp are cheap so why not throw a few in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenzero1 View Post
If you dont plan on having anything living in the tank then why filter it at all???For substrate I would have at least one inch if not 1.5. And ghost shrimp are cheap so why not throw a few in.
i was hoping i could put ghost shrimp in it so i would need a filter for them but dont know if they can survive in room temperature water. but the main reason i was starting this tank was to have a place to start plants off in from clippings with high light and co2 before i put them in my low light 30g and other various tanks. and i was refering to the lighting issue when i said can i grow plants in this and thx about the substrate lvls thinking of a potting soil substrate
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You don't really need a filter for ghost shrimp if anything a sponge filter. And they do fine at room temp as long as its not really cold. If you go with potting soil be sure you treat it before you put it in or wait a while before putting animals in. This may start out as a clippings tank but nanos are addicting!

Quote:
i was hoping i could put ghost shrimp in it so i would need a filter for them but dont know if they can survive in room temperature water. but the main reason i was starting this tank was to have a place to start plants off in from clippings with high light and co2 before i put them in my low light 30g and other various tanks. and i was refering to the lighting issue when i said can i grow plants in this and thx about the substrate lvls thinking of a potting soil substrate

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
You don't really need a filter for ghost shrimp if anything a sponge filter. And they do fine at room temp as long as its not really cold. If you go with potting soil be sure you treat it before you put it in or wait a while before putting animals in. This may start out as a clippings tank but nanos are addicting!
ty what do you mean when you say to treat the potting soil? and the room temp in my place is between 65-70
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
ty what do you mean when you say to treat the potting soil? and the room temp in my place is between 65-70
The temp is great. But by treating the potting soil I mean boiling it.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
The temp is great. But by treating the potting soil I mean boiling it.
ok thanks just curious why do you have to boil it first? im still new to planted tanks
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
i use miracle grow organic potting mix and just put it in the tank dry and cap with pool filter sand and fill that way. it will make the water tea color for a while but it wont hurt anything

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode