JBJ Picotope - VS - Fluval Ebi/Flora - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
JBJ Picotope - VS - Fluval Ebi/Flora

So, I've been dying to setup one of these planted nano's for a while, and now that we're moving, it's a great excuse to do it.

I have a beautiful cabinet that I used for a 38 gal cichlid tank that will be dismantled and sold. But I will keep the two Eheim 2213 filters that ran on the tank and use them on two nano tanks that will sit side by side on the cabinet.

So, I guess I just wanted to know if there was advantages to the Ebi tank itself over the Picotope. I know that even with the Ebi, more substrate is required, so that could possibly be an added expense in either scenario. Lighting could also be a necessary upgrade in either tank brand.

I'm really just concerned because the kits seem so similar but the one is half the price of the other. Any comments or opinions on the matter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Regards,

Cento

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PIMP #427 - 2 x 2213, 1 x 2206, 1 x Surface Extractor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 01:40 AM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
I have the Picotope and the light is fine for anubias/java ferns. I swapped out to a 10k bulb. Every betta I put in there jumped though. It's now a shrimp tank. It's also substantially smaller than the Ebi. If I were putting two nanos side by side with 2213's, then I would go Ebi, personally, unless I had a spot that I needed a smaller tank like the Picotope, which I do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
I have the Picotope and the light is fine for anubias/java ferns. I swapped out to a 10k bulb. Every betta I put in there jumped though. It's now a shrimp tank. It's also substantially smaller than the Ebi. If I were putting two nanos side by side with 2213's, then I would go Ebi, personally, unless I had a spot that I needed a smaller tank like the Picotope, which I do.
I plan on making these dedicated shrimp tanks, so adequate size for fish isn't really an issue.

I guess the real issue is budget. If the Ebi is the better tank, then I have a lot of wife-convincing to do. But if the JBJ is just as good, then it makes my life easier...

Any complaints against the Picotope?

Regards,

Cento

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:46 AM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cento View Post
I plan on making these dedicated shrimp tanks, so adequate size for fish isn't really an issue.

I guess the real issue is budget. If the Ebi is the better tank, then I have a lot of wife-convincing to do. But if the JBJ is just as good, then it makes my life easier...

Any complaints against the Picotope?

It's small would be the only complaint really.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 05:01 AM
Ryi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
You're kind of comparing grapes to grapefruit

Picotope (3 gal) comes with:
*aquarium (heavy glass)
*filter
*light

Fluval Flora (7.9 gal) includes:
*aquarium
*light
*filter
*co2 system
*substrate
*tweezers
*fert
*thermometer
*background

Fluval Ebi (also 7.9 gal) has everything the Flora has except:
* no co2
* no tweezers
* no ferts
...instead it includes
*shrimp substrate
*shrimp supplements & food
*net (yippee!)

I've got the JBJ Picotope and love it. The light is fine for low to medium but I called Catalina and had them send me this for $15 + shipping with 6700k instead. After I fab'd some legs it looks great and 13watts lights up the tank.
I've got a some Red Cherrys, about 5 guppies and a female betta splendens and it's moderately heavily planted.

Long story short: If you want a complete kit turn-key (just add H2O and livestock) go Fluval at about $100 +/- for twice the volume.
If you want something smaller but just as nice and be able to make your choices about substrate, use your own ferts or shrimp food and save more than half the initial cost, go Picotope. (DrsF&S have it on sale for $42 right now)

(The sound you're hearing is the dead horse being flogged)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryi View Post
You're kind of comparing grapes to grapefruit

Picotope (3 gal) comes with:
*aquarium (heavy glass)
*filter
*light

Fluval Flora (7.9 gal) includes:
*aquarium
*light
*filter
*co2 system
*substrate
*tweezers
*fert
*thermometer
*background

Fluval Ebi (also 7.9 gal) has everything the Flora has except:
* no co2
* no tweezers
* no ferts
...instead it includes
*shrimp substrate
*shrimp supplements & food
*net (yippee!)

I've got the JBJ Picotope and love it. The light is fine for low to medium but I called Catalina and had them send me this for $15 + shipping with 6700k instead. After I fab'd some legs it looks great and 13watts lights up the tank.
I've got a some Red Cherrys, about 5 guppies and a female betta splendens and it's moderately heavily planted.

Long story short: If you want a complete kit turn-key (just add H2O and livestock) go Fluval at about $100 +/- for twice the volume.
If you want something smaller but just as nice and be able to make your choices about substrate, use your own ferts or shrimp food and save more than half the initial cost, go Picotope. (DrsF&S have it on sale for $42 right now)

(The sound you're hearing is the dead horse being flogged)
Sold!.....

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I already have a paintball system that I intend to attempt to split for both aquariums.

It's funny, but in pictures, the pico doesn't look that much smaller then the Ebi.

To be honest, I was leaning towards the Pico, but I was just worried that the considerably lower price was because of inferior make.

$42!?!? Gotta love Canadian retailers, eh? Our dollar has been higher then yours for a few years now, and we're still paying WAY more. The cheapest I could find was $60.

Thanks for the replies guys!!

Regards,

Cento

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode