Spec Lighting? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Spec Lighting?

Hi all,
Considering buying a spec over the summer and making it into a RCS paradise. Currently planning for a mix of some java moss, maybe anubias, DHG, wisteria, crypts, java fern. I haven't quite made my decision on the plants yet, but it will be a mix of those.

Is the lighting in the spec adequate for that? Or do I need something stronger/weaker?

10g Planted Community Tank| Otocinclus, Red Cherry Shrimp, Tiger Nerite Snail, Assassin Snail, MTS
5.5g Planted Tank | Betta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
The dhg might not make it. That's a lot of plants for a tank so small. You'll see when to get it. I have grown ludwigia repens x arcuata, dwarf sag, wisteria, and. Chain swords in mine. And java moss.

Sunsun Pimp Club Member #068
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I wasn't planning on planting all of those per se, just examples of plants I'm semi familiar with.
Should I stick to lowlight plants with the spec or am I able to go medium? I see a lot of people order a 13w light, should I look into this to give me more variety of plants and try high light or is that going to be difficult? I'm hoping to stay kind of low on budget, haha!

10g Planted Community Tank| Otocinclus, Red Cherry Shrimp, Tiger Nerite Snail, Assassin Snail, MTS

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Stock light I'd stick with low to medium low. Everything you named except the dhg would be fine I think. The 13w would definitely open up options, just not sure you wouldn't need co2 then. Btw, toms makes a 13 watt that is much cheaper. There is a link around here somewhere.

Sunsun Pimp Club Member #068
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I can probably learn to set up a DIY CO2 system if I need it, I'm planning on putting one in my 10g over the summer. Currently I just dose daily

Edit--I'm going to open up a new thread in the Lighting subforum, I think that might be better suited. Sorry for wasting space!

Last edited by goodeye--sniper; 04-30-2012 at 01:04 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode