CO2 in a nano? HOW? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Curare
CO2 in a nano? HOW?

I have a 2 gallon nano, that I want to inject with c02, trouble is, I don't know how I can do it effectively on such a small scale.

Have any of you come up with ways to make it work?

Right now I'm just plumbing it into a little chiffon sack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 05:31 AM
Algae Grower

i'm playing with this myself

A friend suggested using an airstone for a DIY coke bottle / yeast set up. finally got around to setting it all up today and so far it just seems to make small bubbles that all come out one side of the stone. I don't think this is quite the perfect solution.

I've also seen a new "egg"/diffuser bell by Red Sea that looks like it would not be too big in size for one of my 2.5 gal. But its priced at $35.00 (USD) which is more than I wanted to spend initially. And, I'd hate to spend that and have it work less or as "well" as the airstone.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Not sure how this will work for you guys, but I'll tell you what I use in my 10g, and will be using in my 5.5. I have a Fluval 1 internal filter in each of them. It's not very big compared to other filters I've seen. I run my CO2 tubing into the back of the filter, into one of the holes used for attaching the suction cups. I soften the force of the water coming out of the filter by attaching a small T adapter to the outlet and directing one end against the glass. I've thought about making a spray bar attachment too. The filter then shoots out CO2, and although I haven't measured the CO2 levels, it gets my plants pearling. The filter is about $12 online, so I've found it's a nice inexpensive way to get CO2 into these tanks.

30g planted with cories, white clouds, Harlequin Rasboras ,ottos.
10g planted with glowlight tetras and an otto.
Outdoor pond with one common goldfish and comets.
5.5g with endlers.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just be careful, it's easy to overdose a smaller tank. I switched yeasts once and woke up to a tank somewhere below pH 6. Several fatalities resulted.

Well, at least my algae is pearling...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 05:27 PM

I think Seachem's Excel would work well in such a small tank no?

I've never tried it but it is supposed to be a good source of carbon.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I haven't been too happy with the results from excel, but that may be my own fault for not dosing ferts consistently enough.
BTW...I am agitating my 5.5 gallon right now, bc I just installed the CO2 to the filter and after a few hours, the fish were at the surface!

5.5g with endlers.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yup, I give up. The filter method is way too strong here in the 5.5. The tap water is very soft- with a kh of 0, but I added baking soda yesterday and I'm still getting gasping fish today. I have to take some water home to test the kh again, but it looks like this is way too much CO2 for this tank

5.5g with endlers.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I just use a hagen ladder, just like in a larger tank. In my nano tank it doesn't sit all the way under water, but works great. (It is in the right side of the tank in the picture.) The only time I had a problem with it was once when I took it off the timer and forgot to turn on the lights. I then had a PH crash and had to rescue my shrimp ASAP before they croaked. Check it out:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...tachmentid=625
This tank has been up for around a year now. The only changes I have made is to remove the riccia in the foreground and replace it with H. callitrichoides and add some petite nana.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 03:12 PM

In my 2 gallon, I am using the DIY CO2 with a gatorade bottle. I put the airstone inside a small glass jar - like a tabasco bottle - and the bubbles collect inside, right next to the outflow of Hagen's new Elite series filter. (They're tiny! and you can control the flow on it) If it loks like there's too much CO2 for the fish to handle, I use the filter's airline to inject some oxygen (which I sometimes do at night).

Also, you just have to balance the CO2 with enough light. I run a 75 watt gro light on the 2g and the CO2 barely affects the pH.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hmmm...let me see if my math is correct here. Seventy five watts on 2 gallons...hmm.... that seems to be... 37.5 watts per gallon!!! So, how's the algae on that tank? Not a problem? Does your water ever boil?
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 04:17 PM

No algae at all. Weird, huh?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New 2 fish
Yup, I give up. The filter method is way too strong here in the 5.5. The tap water is very soft- with a kh of 0, but I added baking soda yesterday and I'm still getting gasping fish today. I have to take some water home to test the kh again, but it looks like this is way too much CO2 for this tank
With KH=0, I'd think any CO2 is too much, you'd probably get a good pH swing by using a straw to blow bubbles into the tank each time you passed. I'm not kidding.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbobarah
No algae at all. Weird, huh?
Maybe the algae can't stand the heat. Do you ever walk through the room and smell cooking fish?
New2Fish I would get that KH up to at least 3 or 4.
-Aphyosemion

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nod... I've been adding calcium, magnesium and baking soda and disconnected the CO2 until I get a handle on this. Thanks.

5.5g with endlers.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbobarah
Also, you just have to balance the CO2 with enough light. I run a 75 watt gro light on the 2g and the CO2 barely affects the pH.
I have to assume that this is an incandescent bulb, right? I've never seen a 75W fluorescent or PC bulb.

óBill

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode