The Runed Hill - Mini-L - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
The Runed Hill - Mini-L

I'm starting an ADA Mini-L tank and I'm going to document the effort. This will be my third tank, and the first that I'm actually trying to have a nice layout. First my stuff. Anything in italics is not bought yet and so I'd appreciate any comments of suggestions on.

Tank: ADA mini-L

Soil: ADA Amazonia large pellet size

Light: 1 or 2 Ecopico LED light arms (each with 3 strips of 3 LEDS (9 total)).

Filtration: Eheim 2213 with Do!Aqua lily pipes

Plants: Hemianthus callitrichoides carpet. Something else, possibly a middle sized grass, open to suggestions

Now onto the pictures:

My goal is to have a hill with the slate sticking out, as if they were buried and erosion has revealed only parts. I'm not 100% on the arrangement and I'd appreciate any advice.

I'll keep you guys updated. Currently the plan is to put down a carpet of HM and then do a couple weeks of emersed to let it root.

EDIT: I previously said the rocks were obsidian, which they clearly aren't. I've been spending too much time looking up obsidian, I forgot which kinds of rocks I had.

Last edited by thermalgibbon; 04-23-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
That looks a lot more like slate than obsidian...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I like it!!

Can't wait to see it done

Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Algae Grower

Just make sure they're stable and won't fall over.

I like the idea, something different from the normal iwagumi setup.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Looks cool, I like it.

I agree with the posters above:

1) that is definitely not obsidian
2) try to secure your rocks, screwing them to a piece of plexiglass and then covering the plexiglass with the substrate would be a good idea. It would suck to come home and find that the slope was compromised and your tallest piece tumbled into the glass and cracked it..

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

You guys are right, it is not obsidian. Somehow during my process of looking up rocks my thought process went from 'I should get obsidian rocks' to 'The rocks I currently have are obsidian'. I've corrected the title post.

Having the rocks fall over is a concern. They are fairly solid right now, as they're in several inches of soil, but if the hill went they would go with it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Quick update.

I kept the same layout and have started emersed hemianthus callitrichoides. I sprinkled the HC over the surface.

Sorry about the cell phone camera. Its on my desk at work so I have to remember to bring my real camera in for the next update. I'm currently just using one ecopico light with 9 LEDs, but this is just a stopgap measure until I get a new light. I'm looking into a Vertex Illumilux.

I'm not sure how long I will keep it emersed. I put in enough HC that I more just need it to root, rather than fully carpet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode