Worms - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Worms

So I was lookin around in my 3 gallon tank last night and noticed I have these little bitty white worms sticking to the glass... At first glance I thought it was something like a tiny string of fuzz but I watched for a minute and they are crawling... Has anyone ever had anything like this or know what they may be? All help is greatly appreciated I would put some pics up but my camera is trashed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
I ahve them, i forget what they're called, nematodes maybe? Anyway i think guppies and mollies are pretty good at eating them, if i remember correctly.

My tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
I'm not sure what they are, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I had them in my 5 gallon. Mine disappeared after a couple water changes and putting my fish in the tank (a dwarf puffer). What fauna do you have in your tank? If it's shrimp only, that might be why. I thought I read it's from overfeeding, but I had them when my tank was empty so I'm not sure.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i have one bamboo shrimp and 2 RCS for now
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
they def benefit from over feeding, althought now i dont think minimizing feedings will kill them off. Feed just enough for your shrimp, which probably isnt much, and do some water cahnges. That will probably get rid of them.

or get a fish, lol.

My tank:

my shrimp tank

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Yea they're nematodes. Just cut down on feedings, do normal water changes and they'll start to poof. You might want to try and vacuum your substrate to get out any food down there or any worms already living in it.

-Val
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Most likely Planaria, potentially harmfull to shrimp.
http://www.planetinverts.com/what_is..._aquarium.html
How to get rid of
http://www.planetinverts.com/killing...and_hydra.html
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
They are fairly common and not harmful. You can decrease your feeding and they might disappear or at least decrease.

Just found this for you
"Nematodes are small, thin, white/transparent free-living roundworms and the "swim" moving themselves in a wave like pattern (well, forming an S shape). If disturbed, they will swim around wriggling briskly. You can find them from the substrate and they are the ones that might appear from the filter when you turn it on. These ones are harmless, but as with any other "pest", if there's too many of them, you are either overfeeding or just not keeping the tank clean enough of debris, decaying plant matter."
Source: http://www.planetinverts.com/what_is..._aquarium.html

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Algae Grower

you can get a dewormer from petco for dogs, cut the dose to an extreme minimum. works like a charm without harm to fish or shrimp

after I noticed I had hydra, I dosed my bowl and overnight they were gone.

KHIM▲

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode