7.5 Shrimp Cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
7.5 Shrimp Cube

Setting up a new 7.5 rimless shrimp cube intended to be used for shrimp breeding. I'm shooting for low/medium lighting with no Co2 for the breeding scenario. Here is the plan so far, please let me know what you think.

Tank: Local Fish Stores 7.5 Rimless Cube for $55. (not Mr. Aqua or the 30c, so I'm pretty sure its non-low iron)

Lighting: Finnex's New LED - FugeRay 12" - $35.99, rated at Par 38-42 μmol/m2/s at base 10" deep

Substrate: Aqua-soil Powder type at base, Fluval Shrimp stratum on top

Heater: None for now, perhaps the Hydor ETH 200w eventually.

Co2: Will not be used

Ferts: I have no clue on ferts, this will only have at most medium lighting plants, mostly mosses and ferns, however I'm curious on what else to add, any opinions?

Filter: I'm looking at going the canister route, debating on the Eheim 2211/2213 or the Finnex Px-360... not sure which here. Filter will either be hooked up to a UGF, if I can find one that fits the tank, or just a simple shrimp pre-filter on the intake. Until I decide on the canister I will pop on a Azoo Palm filter most likely.

Shrimp: I think I'm going to try my first soft water shrimp tank with this. I'll be using Culligan R/O Water from walmart and adding in minerals, hopefully this will kick start it, eventually I will buy a small R/O unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
$55, not bad.

Can't wait to see it.

My tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm also starting a 7.5g cube soon with the finnex light too. My cube is from deep blue professional and is part of a 3 cube set but my lfs only sold the 7.5g. Got mines for $25.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Where did you pick it up for $25 and when did you find the light? lol just curious
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
wow $25?????

My tank:

my shrimp tank

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
How tall is the tank? If you go the Eheim route, get the 2213. I have the 2211 with just a prefilter and the flow sucks. I upgraded to the 2213 impeller and that helped, but I wish I got the 2213 from the beginning.

-

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
How tall is the tank? If you go the Eheim route, get the 2213. I have the 2211 with just a prefilter and the flow sucks. I upgraded to the 2213 impeller and that helped, but I wish I got the 2213 from the beginning.
its a 12 cube... so 12 inches tall lol... ~30cm, consider it an ADA 30c or Mr. Aqua 7.5 cube

I would probably go with the 13 over the 11. still interested in what people think about the px-360 too..
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
For ferts I would keep it simple and go with Rootmedic's onestep fert. http://rootmedic.net/store/onestep-f...zer/#cid=13208

-

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
2213 is the smallest you should consider.

It's perfect on my Ebi.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So Made some choices in plants... heres what I'm thinking for the setup.

Tank: LFS 7.5 Rimless
Lighting: Finnex FugeRay 12"
Filter: Eheim 2213
Ferts: Going to try RootMedic's OneStep Fertilizer
Substrate: Aqua-soil Powder Base, Fluval Stratum Top
Co2: Decided I may do DIY Co2... probably in-line diffusing.

Fauna:
Red Cherrys (Sakura/PFR)
Crystals (probably both CBS and CRS)
Couple of Oto Cats
Probably 2 Amanos
Perhaps a CPO... after I see how it reacts in my other tank.

Flora:
Dwarf Hair Grass (Eleocharis parvula)
Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri)
Narrowleaf Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus Narrow)
Vallisneria Corkscrew
Stargrass (Heteranthera zosterifolia)

Will all those plants grow under medium light values? Can they grow with no Co2, or will the DIY be needed? The DHG is going to be half carpet with the Valli and Stargrass in back, Java fern and Moss in mid-ground. Anyone else want to suggest a different plant.. anything else To switch?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lludu View Post
Where did you pick it up for $25 and when did you find the light? lol just curious
Found it at my lfs. First time seeing it there. I saw the light a while ago but didn't have an interest until i saw the cube about a month ago, which is about the same time i bought it.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I also may try and add E. Vesuvius (depending on if Vallisneria Corkscrew wont work), anyone have any ideas on the plants?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have changed my mine on the actual tank and some of the equipment, here is what I have determined so far in my shopping list;

Shopping List

ADG ADA 30c High Clarity 7.5g - 75.00 + 29.59 s/h
Finnex FugeRay 12" LED - 35.99 + 4.99 s/h
Eheim 2213 Classic Canister Filter - 77.97 + Amazon Free Shipping (Prime Membership)
UGF Small Circulating Bar (From Ebay)- 12.99 + Free Shipping
TDS Meter - 12.99 - Already Purchased

Running Total So Far: 201.95 + 34.58 s/h = 236.53

Substrate to be decided still choices are:
Fluval Flora Stratum
Fluval Shrimp Stratum
Aqua-Soil Powder Type

Extras to be purchased at later dates:
Portable 25-100g / day R/O Unit
Hydor ETH 200 in-line heater
Gush Crystal Pod
Marina Breeder Box M/L
Paintball Co2 setup

Decided to switch to the ADA High Clarity, asked around for opinions in this thread, while the tank does scratch a little easier then normal glass, its not as easy as acrylic and algae magnets wont hurt it either.

Still working on substrate choice and additives, not really sure what to add in terms of ferts (bacter 100, etc. stuff)

In other news... interested in this:

Dual CO2 Regulator & Needle Valve with Solenoid For Paintball Tanks

Decided I'll use paintball co2 system in the tank, though i'm not sure what I would need besides that dual regulator and the actual tank itself seeing how I have never gone with a Gas Co2 route, only dealt with liquid Co2 up until this point. Thanks to my job i know some of the basics with regulators, but I'm only around ones dealing with oxy-acetylene torches not small ones with pressurized Co2, solenoids or bubble counters Lol. I have litterally poured through the forums trying to find this information out and I must be missing the basics, this has been my face when reading these things...

clearly I missed something... Can any of you help me out in this area? I cannot find just a simple explanation on what I need to do to set this up. I dont want to run DIY version, nor do I want to have the hassle with finding pieces to put the thing together myself. All I want is something that will work, and fits a nice little paintball tank while having the solenoid for no hassle on/off switching. Once I have the parts, I'm assuming I can figure out how to set it up I just need to know said parts Lol

As for stocking:

Fauna:
Crystals Shrimp
Couple of Oto Cats
Probably 2 Amanos
Perhaps a CPO... after I see how it reacts in my other tank.

Flora:
Dwarf Hair Grass (Eleocharis parvula)
Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri)
Narrowleaf Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus Narrow)
Vallisneria Corkscrew
Stargrass (Heteranthera zosterifolia)

Thoughts, suggestions, comments? Please do share.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
If you need StarGrass Pm me
I have mine under just a 5000k CFL bulb and they grow like CRAZY. You definetely won't regret getting some

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisheriesOmen View Post
If you need StarGrass Pm me
I have mine under just a 5000k CFL bulb and they grow like CRAZY. You definetely won't regret getting some
I'll keep that in mind once I get everything up and running

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode