5gs planted (size warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Red face 5gs planted (size warning)

I've had the rectangular hex up and running for maybe a month or so with good results. I'm a college student and short on space, cash, and honestly time, so it's nothing fancy.

I like it though : ) The hood is horrible; so forgive the poor lighting (that's why its so dark on one side).

Second tank is where my murderous fish lives... He kills my snails and it makes it so ripe with algae and dead snails (which stink SO BADLY!) that I find myself tearing it down constantly... Blegh

Both tanks heated, filtered, 6500K 10/day, dose ferts.

FTS:

My first cuttings of the rotala, its never bloomed red before! :') Thats why its a bit bare at top:

Some really happy Suess! : ) :

Used lake rocks in this one, in hopes he'll explore more and be less apt to kill the snails...not working. He's just evil! :

(ran out of plants...LOL!)

What do you think? I'm pretty new to the whole bit and (obviously LOL) have some complications. I got BBA from another member's tank (dang...) and its been a problem, too.

I was thinking more rotala, it seems pretty happy More dwarf hairgrass, too?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I think the tank would look better with more rotala. You can cut the rotala and replant it. Also if you cut it it should grow more like a bush.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
new thermometers? hehe, looks good though!

My tank:

my shrimp tank

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice betta! you're off to a good start, in the hex tank i think a nice piece of drift wood smack dab in the center would be nice, one that kinda looks like a tree trunk, taller than wide

Check out my Journal!
**My 75g Newbie Build!**

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually just ordered more rotala (mine's a bit too sickly for my liking and will be shoved to my reject tank LOL) and about the wood- I had a log with many branches in the center, but the little devil of a fish killed so many snails and fouled the water so badly that anything left in the back was very hard to siphon (because of the filter on the top, thanks marineland!)

I might try again in a few weeks. Maybe he'll feel less murderous : )

And Hah! I do need nicer/better thermometers. I guess Im too cheap!!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Try this thermometer. Or you could get a digital one, but that's more $$.

~B

~
~
~
~
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nice, wish mine looked that good.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Try this thermometer. Or you could get a digital one, but that's more $$.
Oh, wow, that one's very nice. Next time Im at the store I'm def. keeping an eye out for that sucker.

And thanks Archimedes!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode