Nano planted fishbowl - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Nano planted fishbowl

So the other day I was visiting my aunts house when I come across an old fish bowl that was not being used. Being the fish lover I am I took home with no idea of what I would do with it. So I come home clean it out and put it in the closet, and get on YouTube to see what I can use it for. After much debate, I have decided to turn it into a low cost planted bowl. Now I have never had a freshwater tank before (unless you count a Walmart bought beta bowl). However I am an experienced saltwater tank owner. Currently my only tank is a ten gallon fish only with live rock tank that I am slowly turning into a nano reef. When I got the bowl i thought about turning it into a place to grow some algea for my main tank. However somehow the idea doing a planted bowl popped in my head I have really fallen in love with the idea. However like I said I do not have experience with freshwater. In fact until recently when I discovered planted tanks I always found freshwater boring compared to saltwater. The main reason I am posting this is because I would like your thoughts and advice on this project. Please share your thoughts with me!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

sounds cool. cherry shrimp would make good inhabitants.

WATER CHANGES WORK WONDERS
I am also a member of fishchannel.com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input!! Do you have any suggestions on lighting? I was thinking about using a small desk lamp as the main light for it. It takes up to a 40w bulb and burns around 6000k. Plus the best part is I already have it and am not using it so i would even have to spen any money on it

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I like using desk lamps for bowls and small tanks, but you may want to upgrade your light bulb. There's some cheap 40 watt full spectrum bulbs that work well, although algae can be an issue. Plant it, and plant it well. CO2 might be a good idea as well, since it will help the plants outcompete the algae. Fast growing plants will be your friends, but unless you use a substrate meant for plants, you'll have to dose fertilizers, and might have to anyways. If you go shrimp though (shrimp are always fun) do NOT use Seachem excel though, use co2 instead.

Anyways, as Bettacrazy said, shrimp would be a good option, cherries or any of the neocardinia species (cherry, fire/painted fire red, orange, pumpkins, yellow, green, blue pearls, blue jellies, browns, chocolate...ect) Just don't mix the colors, because then you get blah.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice on the light bub. That's something I wouldn't have thought of till it was too late. Do you think Home Depot or Lowe's would carry them? And for stocking options what fish would be good a goo fit. I was thinking of a few danios or small tetras. And for plants i was looking at a
Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae), but I would love to add some small plants that would cover the bottom(if any exist).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh and i forgot to mention I was thinking about using Caribsea Eco-complete. It has good reviews and I used Caribsea products in my saltwater tank so i know they are reliable.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 01:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
for the bulb, i would get a 40 watt equivalent CFL, if you don't already have one, they can be found in daylight spectrums and won't make heat which would probably be bad :P
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have to look into that. Also the other day while I was in petsmart I saw a 5.5 gallon aquarium, do you think that would be better to grow plants in since I could spread them out. I could also use the bowl for propagating plants. Oh and could I put aluminum foil on the inside of the plastic lamp shade to act as a reflector and to spread out the light more. Sorry about all the questions but I want to make sure I do my homework and don;t just rush into this project.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode