The College Tank (10 Gallon) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Deactivated

PTrader: (5/100%)
The College Tank (10 Gallon)

Hey everyone, I just set up what I call The College Tank. I decided to start this tank because I want to have a tank that I can take to college with me. My other three tanks are too large to take unless I got a small apartment. Earlier this week I picked up all the supplies. I got a brand new aga 10 gallon, a nice piece of driftwood, and a small lace rock piece; I also got 3 Dicrosus filamentosus. I used gravel I already had and most of the plants I already had.

It took me two days to find the right dirt. Originally I was going to use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil. It took me forever to find and when I did it had chicken poop in it... So I instead used regular topsoil which I have used in two other tanks with good results.

After getting the soil level and capping with gravel.

Initial fill and drain.

Final fill with most of the plants in place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
looking good so far.
you ever mineralize topsoil? it works wonders.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
Thats a really nice plate! err i mean driftwood

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
looks good so far. I personally like black gravel better...more soothing on the eyes, but brown beats white
What you planning on putting in there?

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Deactivated

Yeah I was reading on mineralized topsoil. This guy setup identical tanks only difference was mineralized and normal topsoil substrates. He claims both had the same growth rate and everything.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Deactivated

Here's some more shots..

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_guy15 View Post
Yeah I was reading on mineralized topsoil. This guy setup identical tanks only difference was mineralized and normal topsoil substrates. He claims both had the same growth rate and everything.
i can believe that. mineralization breaks down the organics, this helps prevent startup algae. algal spores germinate much better in water with high organic content (new aquariums without established bacterial colonies). and many algae are polytrophic (exhibit both autotrophic and heterotrophic behavior). meaning they can eat rotting stuff just like bacteria. this gives them a huge edge over plants in a tank full of decaying soil. once mineralized, there is nothing left to decay.
you will mineralize the soil regardless. the only question is whether in you tank over the course of a month or two, or on a tarp over the course of a few days.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
i can believe that. mineralization breaks down the organics, this helps prevent startup algae. algal spores germinate much better in water with high organic content (new aquariums without established bacterial colonies). and many algae are polytrophic (exhibit both autotrophic and heterotrophic behavior). meaning they can eat rotting stuff just like bacteria. this gives them a huge edge over plants in a tank full of decaying soil. once mineralized, there is nothing left to decay.
you will mineralize the soil regardless. the only question is whether in you tank over the course of a month or two, or on a tarp over the course of a few days.
Exactly. I decided against mineralized soil because of the time it takes to make.

I added three Dicrosus filamentosus to the tank this afternoon. Other fish I might add in the future are some ottos and maybe some small schooling fish.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is a really sharp looking tank! Simple, effective. The driftwood is especially nice, just the right size for that tank.
I see you use the same clips I do for holding the tubing.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
what if one of those lights falls in?

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Deactivated

Well they pretty much explode inside the tank, lol. No, I'm either going to get a glass hood or suspend them somehow. I'm also going to change the bulbs to 6500k bulbs.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Deactivated

Pics after cycle(today's pics)

The stand with my 1G planted bowl underneath

One of the Dicrosus a few hours after being put in
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Deactivated

So I'm trying to get a stocking list set and I want to know what I could do. This is what I was thinking 1 Dicrosus filamentosus(checkerboard), a school of 5 Corydoras pygmaeus, 3 Otocinclus, and then a school of 5 tetras/microrasboras/rainbows(the thread fin I think?). Im stuck on what school to get. I would really like something colorful, interesting, and unique.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Get sparkling gouramis you can get quite a few of those considering the size requirement for 1 is 1 gallon. They are really cool and unique you should check'em out! they are going away from the mainstream of tetras, rasboras etc.

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Deactivated

Those are pretty nice. I think I might go against the dwarf cories.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode