Fluval Spec - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Fluval Spec

Hello! I'm new here, and also relatively new to the aquarium hobby. I've been keeping bettas for years, but in 2.5 gallon tanks with java ferns, and no filtration just 100% water changes weekly. Really low-tech stuff. I'm in college, so space is limited, and there are tank restrictions.

Anyway, I decided to dabble into the planted tank hobby and I bought myself a 2 gallon Fluval Spec. I used Fluval Shrimp Stratum for the gravel, and I set it up and let it run for a while, then I went to the LFS and bought some plants and just had at it.

This is what I ended up with. From my limited knowledge, I know I have a marimo moss ball, two anubias nana, stream bogmoss, a couple of stems of some sort of rotala, and I have no idea what the long grass-like plant is in the back.

Anyway, I set up the tank and I added a couple of White Clouds to cycle the tank. I also poured in a bottle of SafeStart. I lost a White Cloud pretty much the next day, and the other one chugged along.

Two weeks later, I used the API drop test kit and my readings were 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrites, 40 ppm Nitrates, and 6.5 ph. So I was like great! My tank is cycled. I hadn't done a water change in two weeks (spring break) so I did that, let it sit for a few days, did another test. Everything read zero, only change was ph was at 6.4. I know the substrate is lowering the ph, which is fine, because I wanted to put shrimp in the tank.

Last week, I bought four amano shrimp and added them into the tank. I had a lot of algae and they munched on it happily for a couple of days.

Then, they suddenly disappeared. All four of them began to huddle together and hide under the mossball. I did a test. Everything was fine aka 0s across the board.

Today, I did another test, and ammonia was at .25 ppm. Found that a bit worrying, and did a water change. For a while, I thought that might have been affecting them since a couple of the amanos came out and became active for about an hour. Though, shortly after that they went to go hide and huddle in a nook.

I don't want to keep fish in here, I've left the White Cloud in because... he isn't causing any trouble, and seems quite happy by his lonesome.

But either something is wrong with my water chemistry, or these shrimp are super shy... which is not something I wanted. Did I get the wrong type of shrimp? Are they like this? Are they settling in? Am I doing something wrong?

Any suggestions? Advice? Comments? It would all be appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Mine hide all the time except when I drop some food. They are bigger than any of my fish so I doubt they are frightened by them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess it's an Amano shrimp thing, then. If given hiding spaces, they will hide. I wanted more active shrimp, but I don't think I can return them so... oh well.

Two actually came out right now, so I used the opportunity to drop in some food for them. Of course, the White Cloud ate about half of it. x)

Also, I've been checking my params. 0s across the board still. Perhaps the filter went through another mini-cycle with the new bioload? IDK.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice shrimp and plants.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much!

I left my apartment for the weekend, so my tank is under my roommate's care.

While I was prepping everything, and doing a water change, I saw that a shrimp had shed. I picked it out with my planting tweezers. It was kinda freaky, and crunchy. A little gross.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can leave the molt in there because they like to eat it for extra calcium.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oops. Well, I'll do that next time. Maybe one will molt during the weekend? And I doubt my roommate will fish out the moltyskin. Haha!

They're becoming more active at random intervals in the day. So I think my params and setup is fine... -fingers crossed-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode