Nano for the office? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano for the office?

My supervisor told me I could have a small aquarium at my desk as long as it was quiet. Any suggestions? Dream setup would be a 3 gallon ADA rimless with a toms mini and a desk lamp but I'm worried about noise and the openness of the setup. AIO would probably be ideal. I was looking at the eclipse 3 but Id rather not have to mod the hood.

Anyone have any suggestions or setups they can share?

Thanks.

P.S Stocking-wise I was thinking betta, shrimp or maybe pea puffers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just recently setup a FLUVAL edge on my desk and I don't hear it at all. I will be stocking it soon with some red cherry shrimp and cardinal tetras along with some java ferns and java moss.

I love it already and get compliments all the time from coworkers!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have two 2.5 gallon minibows with Azoo Palm filters on my desk if you don't mind the acrylic. I use a 10w ZooMed bulb for lighting. One is a dwarf african frog biotope and one has shrimp and phoenix rasboras.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Innovative Marine has some of the nicest looking nano tanks I've seen, they can be a little pricey though once you get into the "larger" nano tanks. They come with a light, an over flow style filter. Not sure what they sound like an the bulb probably needs to be changed, think they are more in the reef spec.

Finnex is a PT.net sponsor and has very nice nano tanks also, they are very affordable too.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiba54 View Post
Innovative Marine has some of the nicest looking nano tanks I've seen, they can be a little pricey though once you get into the "larger" nano tanks. They come with a light, an over flow style filter. Not sure what they sound like an the bulb probably needs to be changed, think they are more in the reef spec.

Finnex is a PT.net sponsor and has very nice nano tanks also, they are very affordable too.
The Innovative Marine Pico 4 looks amazing. $150 is a little more then I want to spend but maybe If can find a used one. The Finnex glass deluxe would be awesome. Not a terrible price but I'm not sure about the light.

A 10w led would be pretty sufficient for a 3-4 gallon right?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Nano for the office?

I think these are awesome!

http://www.finnex.net/index.php?page...hk=1&Itemid=61
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

why do you think the ADA would be too noisy? I dont think the open top would make it any louder.

I really would love to have one for my desk noise isnt the issue its space. Its packed as it is and Im not really sure about where I would put it. I would end up stacking papers on top of it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK club #50

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a Fluval Ebi. Nice and quiet looks good with RCS and Cardinals.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Planted Member

Sub-10 gallon tanks are unfit for keeping most fish - betta are alright, but definitely not pea puffers. Shrimp and snails are your best bet for keeping healthy inhabitants and minimizing maintenance of your office nano. The Aquaclear 20 filter is worth checking out - it produces little/unnoticeable noise.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
azoo palm filter is also a good alternative filter... small and quiet

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Depending on your desk space a Spec could be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idleivey View Post
The Innovative Marine Pico 4 looks amazing. $150 is a little more then I want to spend but maybe If can find a used one. The Finnex glass deluxe would be awesome. Not a terrible price but I'm not sure about the light.

A 10w led would be pretty sufficient for a 3-4 gallon right?
I don't know anything about LEDs other then they make awesome flash lights.

I think most people just use the stock light an upgrade later if its required. That is what I get from the few journals I've read at least.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Check out www.truaqua.com they have some cool little nanos, I am going to be grabbing one soon myself, I like the fact that most of the models have an internal filter setup built in!! can't wait to get mine... Stupid wedding costing me to much haha

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I was also researching a desk nano and decided to build my own rather than going with a kit. Mr. Aqua 7.5g, Finnex LED 12" strip and I'll most likely go with an AC20 filter as a canister may take up too much room. Total will be about 110.

I was also seriously considering the following...
Aqueon evolve 8 (acrylic tank, comes with a lid, filter and lightm wasn't too sure about the LED light)
Finnex 4g deluxe with canister and clip light (felt the light would be too high light and end up buying a different light anyway so in the end decided against it.
Fluval Ebi (thought the filter wouldn't be used, wasn't thrilled about an internal filter)

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Mini S with a Zoomed 501 is a super duper quiet setup. All my tanks are in my bedroom. And all of them are silent

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode