Desktop Spec Adventures - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Desktop Spec Adventures

Hi all,
Long time lurker and first time poster here. Great community, so much great info and inspiration. Just wanted to share my first stab at a planted tank. I've been wanting to set up a nano aquarium on my desk at work for some time now, finally started the project and have had a lot of fun/ frustration/ fantastic learning experiences already. Follow along for some laughs as I stumble through this.

Goals:

- A planted nano tank with a small shrimp population (most likely cherries), possibly with a fish or two. Heck, maybe even a snail!

- A glosso carpet! Without using pressurized C02. Whassa? Crazy talk, probabaly, but heck I'll give it a try. Legends tell of brave souls managing to pull this off in a really small tank with Flourish Excel. I know I'll need to be cautious when mixing shrimp and excel, will air on the side of under-dosing.

- Some other plants that don't instantly die... maybe even show some new growth! Anubias and Java moss seem pretty bomb proof, should help balance out the annoyance of glosso.

Progress:

Day 1:

Click image for larger version

Name:	March28_Day1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	45312

Wow some drunken fool had the bright idea to plant the glosso in giant clumps jammed into the substrate. Terrible idea! Too much driftwood + anubias = cluttered mess.

Day 7:

Name:	Day7.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	45313

Ahh, properly re-planted glosso. Painstaking to pull all the runners apart and replant them, but way easier now that I've added a layer of powersand. Removed some driftwood and, set up a dedicated moss zone in the back left. Neons in, seem to be ok.

Day 11

Name:	Day11.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	45314

Woot, things are happening. Glosso sending out new runners, java moss has tons of new growth

Day 11 Glosso runners

Name:	Day11_GlossoRunners.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	45315

Stoked. Totally worth the effort of replanting.

Day 11 Java Growth

Name:	Day11_JavaGrowth.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	45316

Pumped there are so many new shoots showing up on the Java moss.

So that's where its at for now. As of Day 7 I've added a small light with a full spectrum CFL because the stock LEDs don't quite cut it. Will eventually throw on one of the fluval 13W CFLs. The two neon tetras in there now appear happy and healthy. Cycle is going pretty much as planned, will continue cycling and letting the plants get going before moving the whole setup into work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Welcome!

The tank is looking good. I would think you stand a fair chance at getting it to carpet out with excel. I would dose excel closer to recommended now until you have your carpet then just dose minimally to maintain when you have your shrimp. Also, you may want to get other ferts micro/macro to dose with as well to help your glosso carpet faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! That sounds like a good plan with the excel dosing. I just started on the micro/ macros last week, with some tropica complete and Flourish. Just spotted some hair algae in there today, time to roll up my sleeves for the first round of battle.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank is now set up at work, shrimp added, glosso carpet -kinda sorta carpeting! Very nice to watch the shrimp go about their shrimpy bidnass when I glance up from my screen. Oh and something I learned (that isn't exactly news to anyone who knows amanos)... Amanos are absolute BEASTS for cleaning the tank. The hair algae infestation was putting up a good fight until I added a pair of amanos, those guys just devastated the algae in under 2 days. I was pretty impressed, wanted to give them high-fives.

April 26th FTS:

Name:	FTS_April26.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	46454

A few close ups showing growth and shrimp amigos

Name:	shrimpums.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	46455

Name:	shrimpums3.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	46456

Name:	shrimpums2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	46457
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Algae Grower

Good luck with the glosso! How big is your tank?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
looks terrific! lots of growth in a short amount of time and i agree, watching shrimp carry on with their little lives is very much a stress-relieving break from the day-to-day grind!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! The tank is the Fluval Spec 2.2 Gallon, with the stock light swapped for the 13W fixture that is sold for the Ebi.

I'm figuring I'll probably take the tetras out if I see a berried female cherry, seems like the little shimplets would make for tasty snacks.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Good looking tank!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks great! I'm looking forwards to seeing that carpet spread out. How many shrimp do you have in there now?
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypto View Post
Looks great! I'm looking forwards to seeing that carpet spread out. How many shrimp do you have in there now?
Thanks! Still got a long way to go to looking like some of the crazy dense glosso carpets I've seen on this board but its on its way.

Right now there are 7 cherries, 2 amanos, a pair of neons and a pair of small zebra nerite snails. If I can swing it, I want to throw a couple of super tigers in there. Maybe once I've found a new home for the neons.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW11 View Post
Thanks! Still got a long way to go to looking like some of the crazy dense glosso carpets I've seen on this board but its on its way.

Right now there are 7 cherries, 2 amanos, a pair of neons and a pair of small zebra nerite snails. If I can swing it, I want to throw a couple of super tigers in there. Maybe once I've found a new home for the neons.
That sounds like a nice variety. Are you moving the neons because its too small for them? I've seen others with a pair of neons in specs before but it always seemed to contradict what i'd read about their tank size/schooling requirements.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That's a good looking tank and nice shrimp.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Still so much to learn, plenty of unexpected curve balls and a mixed bag of wins and fails. The bullet points of what has happened recently:

- lost 3 shrimp in 3 days (1 amano and 2 cherries). Still not positive why, maybe excel dosing? Just glad it stopped at 3

- added a couple of pieces of DW with christmas moss, took out some java

- caved and went with an ultra-cheap C02 setup. First day while setting it up, I turned it up to high to fast and the tube popped out of the diffuser... BURP! Giant C02 release, knocked a bunch of substrate around. Felt like an idiot at the time but good for laughs afterwards.

- from day 1 of having C02 in there, the plants (glosso especially) were pearling like mad. After a few days, the growth on the glosso went bananas.

- carpet finally getting to where I had envisioned it. No idea how to trim this thing... My straight scissors seem woefully inadequate for this task, might need to look into some curved scissors.

- added a pair of juvenile CRS, holy crap these dudes are neat looking.

Current FTS:

Name:	May15_FTS.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	470.3 KB
ID:	47634
Juvenile CRS:

Name:	May15_CRS.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	47635
Group photo on the carpet:

Name:	May15_carpet.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	464.1 KB
ID:	47636
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Algae Grower

Wow, glosso is looking great. Nice Shrimp! Can you give some more details on your Co2 setup? Pics? I've been considering adding one to my spec.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks! the C02 setup is the Fluval 20g:

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-Pr...7185770&sr=8-3

and instead of that ridiculous giant glass diffuser (which would occupy half the space in a spec!) I threw one of these on:

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Ceramic...7185770&sr=8-6

Works great, I can dial it down super low and still get plenty of pearling going. Now the trick will be if I can cook up some kind of adapter and use standard paintball 12g cartridges so I don't have to buy fluval's overpriced cartridges.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode