Those tiny little filters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Those tiny little filters

I just purchased a 2 gal glass cube that I want to make into a little nano for my betta.
It comes with a light and those little filters. I usually don't use filters on the betta tanks but wanted to try it out on this setup.
The vibration that this thing makes is very annoying. i tired all sorts of ways to pad the filter but nothing works. The vibration must be very annoying to the fish.
Has anyone found a way to deal with this?

Thanks
JoAnn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 03:55 AM

I cut up freebie/old/cheap Mousepads for use with vibrating and noisy gear. The ones I use have a 'cloth' side and a 'foam' side, a drop of silicone on the cloth side will make a removable-if-need-be attachment to most aquarium stuff.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Wow, what a great idea. I am going to try that for a few of my vibrating little air pumps!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamkeeper
I cut up freebie/old/cheap Mousepads for use with vibrating and noisy gear. The ones I use have a 'cloth' side and a 'foam' side, a drop of silicone on the cloth side will make a removable-if-need-be attachment to most aquarium stuff.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 04:29 PM

I've got a Red Sea nano filter, and it's virtually silent - no vibration to speak of. I'm wondering if you've got a bum filter, with an unbalanced impeller (sometimes the shaft is bent just a little, and can make a horrible rattle). It might be worthwhile to try returning it to the store, see if they've got another one you can try.
If the vibration is just the nature of the filter, the mouse pad idea sounds brilliant
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have the same red sea nano filter on my planted 2.5 tank it does give off some vibration to the tank...its a great little filter though. I almost have to turn down the flow on my 2.5g
maybe ill try a little piece of mousepad to absorb the vibration from the tank. I know Id get annoyed if my house vibrated all the time lol

My tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 10g - 5g - 2.5g
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Algae Grower

Mine doesn't rattle at all, and I have aobut 6 of these tanks. Ranging from planted to reef to betta.

I used an old waterproof place setting because my wife is terrified of getting water on the furniture.

I would return it. I had one that rattled, but the piece that connects the impeller to the motor (axle? shaft?) was broke.

Ray

Ray
Bunches of tanks.
Reef, Planted, vivarium, terriarium, salt.

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 06:40 PM

I have had two nanos and tried out three different models of filters. Every one of them vibrated audibly (even though one was quite silent when the hood was in some special position on the tank).
I found out that sometimes, a filter is not exactly necessary, at least if there is a very low bio-load in the tank and you don't feed too much (and your fish don't really want running water).
So perhaps just removing your filter from your setup is a viable choice too?

Markus
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 05:44 AM
Algae Grower

trying out possible replacement make/brand

I've had 1 Red Sea go bad on me so far. It kept stopping but would start back up if you spun the impeller. However, since it was so quiet/non-vibrating and since it was the desk "bowl" in my office at work, it made me a little nervous.

The LFS near my office just got in a new make & brand: "CA-100 Bio-matrics." It's the same size as the Red Sea, is just as quiet & at $9, it seems to be a good buy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode