Extra Plant Tank needs Something - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Extra Plant Tank needs Something

so i realized the other day i had some plants in my 29 that didn't quite fit with the way the tank looked, so i went out and bought a little 10gal to keep them in. i plan on mostly ignoring this tank, other than turning the light on and off.

i want to put a low maintence fish/invert in there, but i'm not sure what to put. i was thinking a crayfish but i hear they tend eat plants. i thought about a cpo but after looking at lots of pictures it doesn't have the flash i want. i already have shrimp tank that i am working on getting established, so i'd like to stay away from shrimp. this plant tank has gravel and a filter currently running.

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Location: In a little town in the central valley of California!
You could have a happy happy betta in there If you can find a chill one, you could even put a few other fish in with him!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

well bettas work well with amano shrimp? i have one in that tank now, to help keep my plants clean.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
well bettas work well with amano shrimp? i have one in that tank now, to help keep my plants clean.
it really depends on the betta. and it's hard to tell before you bring them home and put them in with the shrimp.
is there a heater in the tank?
if there isn't, i personally wouldn't do any fish since most require warmer water, maybe some sort of shrimp would work better.
whoops, didn't see that you didn't want shrimp.
if you get a heater, then fish would be okay. maybe a school of nano-type fish, like microrasboras? i guess you'd have to feed them, but then you'd have to feed a betta too.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

no heater because, well none of my tanks need one. that tank is running at about 82f my main tank runs at 79, and shrimp tank is about 76 or 77.

i could do another shrimp tank lol, but my only concern is that this tank has little to no cover for fry and shrimp in general. the plants in it will be changing, and at times i may have no plants in the tank. right now i have six stems of a red plant i'm trying to get healthier and some sagaritta i'm trying to nurse back to life. but the red plant is going to roakd to a friend once it looks better leaving only the sag in the tank.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
The Betta should be afraid of the amano(s) if they're a good size. I mean, they won't hurt it, but they should be at least as big as the Betta.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
You can get a couple jumbo Amanos from Rachel (msjinkzd) - they'll definitely be as big as a Betta's body.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Location: In a little town in the central valley of California!
A few white cloud minnows would look pretty, too! They are really hardy, and tiny. I have 10 in a ten gallon with some rcs, the rcs are bigger than the fish!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i have a giant amano in my main tank, i put the smallest one i had in ten so he grow nicely...i think i need to spend some time looking at bettas in the store.

anything i should look for?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Yep - look for what you think is the most beautiful.

Other Betta folks will likely chime in to say there's more than appearance when it comes to selecting a fish but I say start there.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

so funny story.

i was reading the thread going about if QT tanks are nessesary, and then i remebered, this is supposed to be my running QT tank!

Silly me, getting all excited about running a third tank lol.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode