Fluval Spec joins Fluval Edge 6G and 12G - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Spec joins Fluval Edge 6G and 12G

I decided I needed a small tank at work, and got a Fluval Spec. I am pretty impressed. I started it up with some plants, a red betta, a Marano shrimp, and a Nerite snail.

I am seeding it with water from my Fluval Edge 12G, and also transplanted the Biomax bag. This should get it going. Overall, a clean little unit. I added a small heater (10W?) into the pump well that I had around. It's running a fixed setting that keeps the tank at 80 deg F, which is where I like it, even during our 60 deg nights (we turn the furnace off at night).

The one thing that is odd is that the filter pump fits very tightly, almost impossible to remove, with very little clearance around the inlet, and kind of jamming the control tab. I removed it once, and left it on full. I had to pull it by the power chord, and level it while sliding it up - cringing all the way. Since in all settings, it has too much flow for the tank, and especially a betta, I ended up pulling the nozzle, and stretching a little seran wrap over the opening, where it fits over the feed pipe. I punched a couple of holes with a paper clip, and refitted it. With this flow restriction, it is great. And the "adjustment" is easily changed without removing the pump again.

I'll have to watch it, this could spread further - Fluval fever...

This is on the second day, just a touch cloudy. My other tanks cleared in a week, but did not reach their crystal clarity until a few weeks. I initially had some white substrate from PetSmart, but it turned out to be kind of plasticky. I redid the tank the second day with some natural light substrate, which I preferred. Since it will be at work, I want to keep it simple.

Not sure, whether the Flourish Excel will be enough to get the plants going, or whether I will have to temporarily use a CO2 generator. I discontinued CO2 on my 6G, since after it settled in, did not seem to need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fluval Spec.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	45175  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Planted Member

Yes, I have noticed that the pump is super tight in the compartment. I can't get mine to come back out and I'm afraid to try anymore out of fear of cracking the tank. I can't believe they didn't leave any room for it to move.

I like your suggestion for reducing flow. I run mine without the tubing and just let the water flow out. I stuffed it full of extra sponges as well. I might try your solution though.

How is your betta with the shrimp in such a small space? I was debating adding one, but was afraid the shrimp would be have no place to hide since it's such a small tank.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
How is your betta with the shrimp in such a small space? I was debating adding one, but was afraid the shrimp would be have no place to hide since it's such a small tank.
The shrimp is moving cautiously, but the betta is leaving it alone. I've actually never had trouble in that regard, although I keep an eye out.

BTW, packing the pump space with sponges would not make it impossible to put in the heater. I will check into running without the lift tube, since that would improve circulation around the heater.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
…that the pump is super tight in the compartment.
I actually think, they originally designed for a different pump, and had a supply problem. But moving the divider, which is just glued in, would have helped. Even, if they did not change the tooling for the foam, it's a bit more compressible than the filter housing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode