Which tank for a beginner planted Nano? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Which tank for a beginner planted Nano?

Hello all.

I want to get into planted tanks. Was considering the IM 16g Nano, white with the 10K lights. It looks awesome, top is accessible, comes with 2 supposedly fresh water lights.

Are there any articles, how to guides for beginners? I am not new to fresh water tanks, new to Nano and plants? Is that a good tank or should I consider something else?

I want a modern, clean look, low maintenance. Would love to do cichlids but what are other choices to start. I have 2 young kids, I want something fun to watch. Are shrimp tanks hard to maintain, setup?

Thanks for all the advice in advance.

Murat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
It matters what kind of Cichlids you want to do. Dwarf Cichlids like Rams and apistos go well in planted tanks. If your doing a Nano setup they you can always go with Nano fish and shrimp. I have a fluval Edge, it's only 6 gallons but I have chilli Rasboras and cherry shrimp in it. But the lighting on the edge even when upgraded barely grows anything. So I wouldn't suggest it. I did a cherry shrimp tank with a eclipse 3, and it grew stuff well and the shrimp multiplied like crazy.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hiya Murat and welcome to the community! To answer your first question, this forum has a multitude of information for you to soak up. Everything from "How-to" guides to more specific information. My suggestion is to peruse the various sub-forums and go from there. You can literally spend hours reading all the great information various users have provided. In terms of tank selection, there are several choices for you to make. My opinion is you should piece together a setup. (i.e. Tank, lighting, etc..) This way you get exactly what you want. Check out the Tank Journals or even Nano Tank sub-forum and see what tickles your fancy. Cheerz!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hey,
For your tank question, there are no good or bad tanks out there only what you really like and will fit your budget. But lighting and filtration are more key to your planted tank. Low tech or high tech set ups and the in between can be used. Just low tech some consider too slow for what they want to accomplish.

Like every thing it takes time. Talk about watching grass grow... I got excited when my carpet plant started filling in. All together for a small high tech set up it should run you about 200-250 tank lights co2 and substrate. Low tech just lights tank and a filter substrate is about 50-150 ish depending if you want to splurge on an edge or piece together cheap parts. Look a round decide on a look and ask questions.

All gave some, Some gave all
Active tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired Tanks

/
/
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is the tank I really like, pricey but looks amazing. What do you think about the light (Which is 10K and the LFS guy said it would not be good for plants)? ALso, do you think filtration is good? The same guy also told me as long as I add the CO2 deal, I am all set to go.

http://innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aq...no16-0301.html

Also
Is the book sold on this forum worth getting for $20?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use this light on my 4g IM tank and it works great for crypts, HC, and Anubias plants.
Luv these tanks since there are no ugly pipes or filters to look at and you can hide the heater in the sump in back of the tank.......... Good stuff.

The Fraternity of Dirt #70
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I run 12 k with 6.5k on mine. 10k is fine the range is like 5500-10000 but people like the middle most from what I've read. Combining different bulbs satisfies plants different stages and gives your tank different looks.

Those lights look removable so you will be able to clamp on different lights if you choose to do so.

That tank looks like a reef set up which is why it could cost an arm and leg.

The filtration has nothing to do with injecting co2. It just means establishing a good nitrogen cycle in your tank to promote the growth of beneficial bacteria. If those water return heads are under water it means it's not aerating the water, so co2 and o2 is not being mixed in with those heads, but pure water surface contact with the air does helps. Which may cause a problem some times. But can be over come with an air pump and co2 set up from a paint ball rig.

But over all it's a slick looking tank

Most of anything you want to find about tanks is free.

I love reading threads and most likely the questions you have will be posted so use the search function and give it shot before posting .

All gave some, Some gave all
Active tanks

/

Retired Tanks

/
/
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can you share a pic of your im 4? Isn't 4 too small for fish? I like the 8g, but the fsg said you can't really put any fish in 4, which doesn't sound right. Confusing...

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by picotank View Post
I use this light on my 4g IM tank and it works great for crypts, HC, and Anubias plants.
Luv these tanks since there are no ugly pipes or filters to look at and you can hide the heater in the sump in back of the tank.......... Good stuff.
Also, what do you mean by "this light"? do you mean the light that comes with the im 4? Do you have the white one?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes it's the same light but yours would have two of them. Powerful lights for growing plants. To small for many fish. I just have shrimp in mine ...8g would be better if wanting fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-18 003.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	45159  

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilci View Post
This is the tank I really like, pricey but looks amazing. What do you think about the light (Which is 10K and the LFS guy said it would not be good for plants)? ALso, do you think filtration is good? The same guy also told me as long as I add the CO2 deal, I am all set to go.

http://innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aq...no16-0301.html

Also
Is the book sold on this forum worth getting for $20?

That is a beautiful tank, I don't know if I would really consider it a nano in the truest sense. It is really a 20G high with with a false wall to hide the in tank equipment.

I love the rimless look and the clip on lights look like they would be fantastic.

That price range isn't right for me though. For that price you can get an ADA 45-P, Eheim 2213 filter, Coralife t5 fixture, nice lily pipes and still have enough left over to buy some amazonia or other fancy substrate of your choice.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think I'm sold

Your tank looks great.

Few quick questions if you dont mind answering:
What is your Substrate?
CO2?
How easy it is to clean, maintain?
Did you add anything else to the stock filtration?

Thanks
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilci View Post
Your tank looks great.

Few quick questions if you dont mind answering:
What is your Substrate?
CO2?
How easy it is to clean, maintain?
Did you add anything else to the stock filtration?

Thanks
Thanks, I luv this little tank...Clean lines and no messy lily pipes, heaters, and filters to look at.
Substrate is Miracle-gro Organic choice potting mix with pool filter sand on top.
I use Sea-chem Excel for a carbon source instead of C02
I clean the glass with a toothbrush and do about .5 gal water change once a week.
I took out the carbon filter pad after the first month of running this tank and added more filter foam in it's place. I also added an extra filter pad as shown to keep my little critters from going overboard on the overflow filter slots...
Tanks is just over three months old and going strong. This is today's pic of the growth...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-04-06 001.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	45162  

Name:	2012-04-06 003.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	45163  

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I personally would like to get my hands on a finnex 4gal comes complete with a light and canister filter for a great price...

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After stopping at a store and looking at the 16,now I am considering a larger one. I have space and don't mind spending a little extra.

I like the ADA tanks. Haven't seen one in person. What's a good size for a fish/shrimp tank? It also seems like they are out of stock on everything. Are there other online retailers sell them? Other alternative brands?

Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode