Rescaping a part of my 10g.. advice? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Rescaping a part of my 10g.. advice?

Well I've had the tank for a couple of months now, slowly added new plants, threw others away, replanted and propagated older ones. I think I have a better idea of what I want the tank to look like, and it is currently not it .

Quick specs:
10g AGA
28W coralife
Hagen CO2, champagne yeast/baking soda recipie
3" Eco-complete
stump w/ java moss/ferns
1 dwarf puffer
1 oto
4 cherry shrimp (yes, the puffer leaves them alone.. for now)

In the back right corner of my tank I have wisteria, which I have found grows too wide and ugly looking for my tastes (although the dwarf puffer seems to love hiding in it). I am looking to rip it out and replace it with a suitable background plant. (Remember, background plant for a 10G!!!)
I was thinking either:
-Some kind of Val (I realize these get rather larger but do they handle frequent trimming well? I don't really mind that part of the hobby... yet.)
-Stargrass (Heteranthera zosterifolia)
Anything else? I have pearlgrass/babys tears in the other corner that is staying there; I really am fond of that one.

Now I also have the fore/midground planted with pretty much all dwarf sags. From what I've been reading and seeing these will not stay so dwarf for long, plus I am not liking the look of them all that much. I am thinking of removing them and replacing them with:
Midground:
-some kind of crypts
-some kind of anubias
I think either would work well, even if they were to be partially shaded by some val leaves. Probably will go with the crypts to add some color to the green.

Foreground:
-hairgrass (again?)
-glosso (CO2 enough?)
I tried the hairgrass at first and it just died back and didn't grow. I did not give it that much time however, so I have a small patch of it growing in my front, left corner of my tank. It again partially died back, but I am noticing new growth from it now, so perhaps it just needed more time. The addition of the hagen CO2 probably helped a bit as well.
Glosso I keep hearing needs high CO2, probably more than the Hagen kit can provide? I am not willing to do any more elaborate setups on CO2, so do you think it would/can work? Slower/faster than the hairgrass?

Any other suggestions on the front?

I'll post a pic here shortly for better visualization of what I'm talking about.

thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
It is kind of hard to tell if you have enough co2 for glosso if you don't post your kh and ph. What I mean is you need those values to figure your ppm and that doesn't mean your bubble rate.

Also you may need more lighting for glosso.

Post a pic man!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Ok so no Glosso - I put in some HC today and moved the sags elsewhere.

I also put in some Hemianthus Micranthemoides. Any other suggestions on similar plants (small leaves, maybe something with some more color)? How big are the leaves on L aromatica?

my params are
ph of 7.2~7.4 (stupid red sea kit)
kh 6
What is that, about 7ppm co2? It'd be nice to have more, but The hagen kits not cranking out much more im afraid! I don't know how people are maxing out their 10gs sometimes with it..?

oh and pics:

thx!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode