My Spec - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Spec

I have had my spec for around 6 months and over the last week have read a lot of this sub forum and the other day I re did it. I have never had a planted tank before and thought i would take the plunge.

I have noticed that since doing it one of my grass bunches has uprooted. is it a problem to leave it until my next w/c to sort out?

Current occupants are two ghost shrimp and what the LFS called an assasin snail. These guys have been living in here the whole time and I did have a betta that past away a few months back.

I watched a lot of vids and read a lot of posts about planting glosso and my god was it time consuming and in the end I gave up and left it how it is.

Any body know the plant on the wood?

Substrate is just sand from the lfs, I have a heater and on order i have a 13watt fluval lamp and a small co2 system which should arrive monday.

The algea magnet is only there to dampen the flow from thefilter return tube until I either cover the outlet nozel with a small sponge (not sure how effective it will be) or I have heard that slitting the tube will assist.

water parameters are spot on and have been since cycling finished.

I do have a question or two.

How often and what should i feed the shrimp. I tend to stick 2 shrimp wafers in a week, but the shrimp seem to always be grazing on the wood.

I plan to get some more shrimp possible 2 more ghosts and some crystal reds however I need to research compatability etc.

I would like some fish in there to but realise it is a small tank. any ideas? If not I am happy with shrimp as they are fun to watch.

also what sort of lighting schedule is advisable?

Photos - apologies about the water marks, only seen then on the photos and missed them when cleaning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice and clean tank. I feed my shrimp a small piece of cucumber and they go nuts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Algae Grower

If you were asking what the plant on the wood is, it looks like anubias nana. My shrimp eat algae, whatever it is they pick up off the bottom, blanched zucchini, algae wafers, bottom feeder pellets...
As far as light goes, 10-12 is a place to start unless algae becomes an issue then cut back (certainly no lighting expert, but that works for me)
Fish: check into the micro rasboras... Dwarf spotted rasbora (had em & loved em) there is also one called chili. Also look into Badis badis- the scarlet badis, someone on a forum suggested them to me.
Hope any of this helps.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Putting a sponge on the outlet will slow the flow a bit. I've done that with my spec. You've got a good choice for the lighting and for the plants I would suggest a single root tablet in the center of the sand. As for fish, Endlers are great to look at. They stay small and have some serious color. I have not cared for any personally but I have seen them kept in a spec. Enjoy your Spec!

~B

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks all.

I will try cucumber so bought some plant weights to weigh it down. I guess I blance it first in some boiling water and let it cool before dropping in. I used to do this with my goldies.

I also bought a pack of API Root Tabs but notice they contain 5% Iron so not sure as I have shrimp.

My Fluval 13 Watt light came down and my what a difference it makes in the brightness of the tank. Just waiting on my co2 to come down

Also covered the filter outlet with some filter sponge and it has worked a treat.

I am thinking to pick up a few CRS shrimp this weekend if the LFS still has them in stock too.

Some photos with the new light in situ. (light is excellent for taking photos as no tripod needed as I am getting 1/30 shutter)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode