How Do You Clean Your Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How Do You Clean Your Tank?

Hi, I am new to planted tank and wondering how people clean your tank (fish/shrimp waste) when it was in the early stage? In their fully grown stage, I heard that everything will be recycled by themselves, is that true? But in their early stage, I don't think it is possible to clean all the waste with the plants/rocks all over the place. All input is welcome to contribute to my learning curve. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
I only use an airline tube to vacuum the surface of the gravel while not disturbing it.

Planted tanks with shrimp only work differently from fish tanks. Their bioload is very small compared to fish and the plants just take it all in. you will likely have to do a water change from overfeeding than their waste.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:25 AM
Algae Grower

Tons of variables impact a cleaning regime.
-Stocking rate (even varies with type of fish)
-Type/size of filter
-Water parameters
-Type and size of substrate.

Let us know what you've got/will have.
One of my planted tanks:
Around 20 gallons, 180 gph canister filter, 25 1-1.75 inch fish. Medium to heavy planting.
I do a 30-50% water change every other week (sometimes waiting 3 weeks) I don't vacuum my ecocomplete substrate, I just sweep the gravel vac over the top to pick up large debris. Clean the glass with a magnet cleaner if/when necessary.
Ideally keeping nitrates below 20, depending on your fertilizer regime if applicable.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh, I have the Fluval Edge with LED, everything stock.

I have

3 pieces of driftwoods (one small size and 2 tiny size).
2 java ferns
2 small amazon swords
2 anubias nano petites
A small rock

6 Neon tetras
3 cherry shrimps
2 oto catfishes (just added since I got some hair algae already in less 3 weeks)

I don't know if I got too many fishes/shrimps in a 6G tank. I changed ~20-25% water every week.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 04:30 AM
Algae Grower

I'm your man! Ive got an edge as well. 2 neons, 3 glow light tetras, 2 corys, 2 otos, and a handful of shrimp. Don't even ask about the neons & glow lights (non-aquarist wife insisted on choosing fish) I vacuum the gravel every other week, removing 30-50% of the water. I use a small magnet cleaner on all the glass right before I do the water change. I squeeze out the white sponge from the filter in the tank water i just siphoned out once a month. I started with about the same plants...2 anubias, 2 java ferns, 2 small driftwoods. I've split one of the anubias and need to do the other (both grew to over 4 inch rhizome) and the java fern took over. Throw some smaller ones out usually during cleanings.
I would just suggest monitoring your nitrates. Try to keep them under 20ppm, but don't change so much water that they are consistently close to zero. I hope that made sense.
Cheers!
Oh, I also use a dog toothbrush (long handle with 2 sizes of brush) to clean all of the seams inside the tank during water changes.
Love my edge!!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

IRun has a good regime.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I feed the tetras with the Nutrafin Max colour enhancing flakes. I tried to "break" the flakes in smaller size so that they won't be too big for the fishes. However, they won't bother picking/eating them so long as the flakes landed on the substract. I have the dark brown Flourite substrate. Maybe the flakes blended in with the color of the substrate and the fishes couldn't see them. What is the better alternatives for better food for tetras? Thanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 04:43 AM
Algae Grower

Hikari makes a tiny pellet for tetra sized fishes. I use that as one of several foods in my feeding regime including crushed flake. I bet the shrimp would eat the excess flake off the bottom.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode