Planted bowl ideas/questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted bowl ideas/questions

So, after seeing all the crazy beautiful bowls I have to start one too. I'm planning on a Walstad inspired method: capped soil, no heater, no filter, most likely using a desk lamp with a CFL (potentially replaced with LED in the future).
Now, here are my questions...
The tank may get down to 64 deg F in the winter. Does this rule out keeping RCS, or really shrimp in general??
Will that temperature rule out any particular aquarium plants?
Final question...are there any fish (obviously excluding Beta due to low temp) that would be happy in this unheated, unfiltered bowl? Im specifically wondering about killis or white clouds.
I know, I know...white clouds, school of 5 or more, minimum of 10 gallon, but in my years of keeping fish, i have seen many successes come outside of the laws of aquarium keeping, *wink* *wink*

Thanks in advance y'all!!

PS, I'd love to see pics of your 2ish gallon bowls set up close to what I've described!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't have RCS, but I do have micro crabs in my bowl. The temp in my bowl is around 68-69 right now and they seem to be doing fine. From my understanding they have pretty much the same requirements as the shrimp so I would think you'd be fine.

As far as the fish I wouldn't count on the white clouds especially since the only filtration is going to be plants. You could probably get away with a Scarlet Badis although i think min. tank size for them is around 7 gallons. However they stay very small, look awesome, and can handle temps from 64-78.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun View Post
So, after seeing all the crazy beautiful bowls I have to start one too. I'm planning on a Walstad inspired method: capped soil, no heater, no filter, most likely using a desk lamp with a CFL (potentially replaced with LED in the future).
Now, here are my questions...
The tank may get down to 64 deg F in the winter. Does this rule out keeping RCS, or really shrimp in general??
Will that temperature rule out any particular aquarium plants?
Final question...are there any fish (obviously excluding Beta due to low temp) that would be happy in this unheated, unfiltered bowl? Im specifically wondering about killis or white clouds.
I know, I know...white clouds, school of 5 or more, minimum of 10 gallon, but in my years of keeping fish, i have seen many successes come outside of the laws of aquarium keeping, *wink* *wink*

Thanks in advance y'all!!

PS, I'd love to see pics of your 2ish gallon bowls set up close to what I've described!!!
Rcs should be okay but thats pretty cold. Most plants should be fine as well at least all ive had do fine...

As for fish that is pretty small....maybe a few guppies...

My bowl...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tips!
@mdreher...I need to look into badis, I see them mentioned alot.
@tenzero1...I ruled out guppies thinking that winter temp might be to cold. I've kept guppies before and kinda dig 'em.

I think I'll try RCS for sure.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

BTW tenzero1, great bowl, Ive got my eye on a bowl shaped alot like that one at a craft store.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I read that the badis need a minimum of 7 gallons, but I just saw some at my LFS store today and they're smaller than RCS. I can't imagine that their bio load would really effect a bowl.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm really interested in them. The good news is I've got an established tank I could move them to if need be.

New question: if I'm running a desk lamp with a 6500k or higher CFL in the 13watt range give or take a couple watts, I could grow high light plants, no?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Planted Member

Any updates? How long did it take for your bowl to cycle and look like it does in the pictures? I setup a bowl recently and it seems like things are going sooo slow! Your bowl looks awesome by the way.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disher View Post
Any updates? How long did it take for your bowl to cycle and look like it does in the pictures? I setup a bowl recently and it seems like things are going sooo slow! Your bowl looks awesome by the way.
I'm sure Tenzero1 would appreciate it, that's a picture of their bowl above

Are there pictures of your bowl, Disher???

I'm slowly putting my bowls together. Trying to be diligent about research so that I'm not making avoidable mistakes. I've got pictures of the bowls I bought, I'll get them up soon.

I'm working on substrate now. I've got a leftover bag of black Eco Complete, and I'm thinking of maybe mixing it with the miracle grow organic soil, and capping it with sand or gravel.

My recent struggle is that my tank with Eco complete has a constant scum on top, unlike my gravel tank with no scum. I've also heard of that with happening with miracle grow.

I may just have to deal with it, though.

Any thoughts on substrate from you bowl-maniacs?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Planted Member

I have a thread titled "I've got bowl fever"

I used miracle grow and capped with gravel, at first I didn't like the look of it but it's growing on me now! The first week I noticed a film on the surface but with daily ~50% water changes it eventually went away. My bowl is around 2 weeks old so still very early into it the process.

I've heard if you cap with sand you run the risk of anaerobic conditions. The gravel allows detritus to settle through eventually becoming nutrients for the plants, whereas the sand traps everything on top.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disher View Post
I have a thread titled "I've got bowl fever"

I used miracle grow and capped with gravel, at first I didn't like the look of it but it's growing on me now! The first week I noticed a film on the surface but with daily ~50% water changes it eventually went away. My bowl is around 2 weeks old so still very early into it the process.

I've heard if you cap with sand you run the risk of anaerobic conditions. The gravel allows detritus to settle through eventually becoming nutrients for the plants, whereas the sand traps everything on top.
Oh, that's right, I've been watching that thread. I've got my organic miracle grow prepped. I separated out all the wood/bark pieces.

I've been kicking around the idea of mixing in some store bought topsoil to give it some density. The bag says it contains peat, "forest products," compost, ash, sand or native topsoil.

I used some of the bag in my garden and it is much more like actual "dirt" than the miracle grow potting soil.

It's possible the ash could push pH up, but the peat and wood will tend to balance that with downward pressure on the pH methinks. Plants and shrimp might benefit from what I suspect is a decent amount of mineral content.

I already kinda figured gravel for aesthetic reasons
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 AM
Planted Member

Good call on picking out the wood pieces, wish I would've done that lol

Let's see some pictures of your progress!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode