Fluval Flora Setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Flora Setup

I just got a fluval flora for my desk at work and I'm debating what to add. Any advice is welcome.

There isn't enough substrate provided in the default kit so I'm wondering if it would be worth getting some sand to mix it with or just get some eco-complete instead of using it?

I'll need a heater but would like it to be hidden as best as possible, does anyone have any recommendations on what best works for the flora?

I'll be getting a small canister filter for it and am leaning towards the eheim 2211. Are there other canister filters that might be better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Nice ideas so far. You can buy another bag of fluval substrate on amazon if needed. I like planting in it.

If you are getting a canister you could do a hydor inline 200watt heater. That is as hidden as it gets.

The 2211 is 60gal/hr max which is a little low for an 8 gal tank. I like about 10x gph rating of my total volume. You could go with the 2213 which is 116 gph. I recently scored a deal at my local petco for a new 2232 which is nice and compact as it is the Ecco line.

Anyways. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Definitely consider buying another bag of Stratum - some of the forum sponsors have really great deals on it, too.

I have a 2213 on my Ebi (see signature) and the flow is just right. I had to use the control valve on the quick disconnect to meter it down a bit for the first month or so but now it's perfect. 2211 won't really allow you to get enough flow at the bottom of the tank, I don't think.

Also have an in-line heater that I love. Best $50 I spent on the entire tank. Nothing to see inside the tank and less (less! not completely eradicated) risk of electrical shock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've thought about getting an inline but 200w (The lowest I've found) seems overkill for an 8 gallon tank.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Definitely consider buying another bag of Stratum - some of the forum sponsors have really great deals on it, too.

I have a 2213 on my Ebi (see signature) and the flow is just right. I had to use the control valve on the quick disconnect to meter it down a bit for the first month or so but now it's perfect. 2211 won't really allow you to get enough flow at the bottom of the tank, I don't think.

Also have an in-line heater that I love. Best $50 I spent on the entire tank. Nothing to see inside the tank and less (less! not completely eradicated) risk of electrical shock.

I agree with somewhatshocked to get a in-line heater.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
May seem like overkill but in the end I'm using less power because the heater only kicks on once or twice a day. If you're worried about cooking your tank? You can get a cheap temperature controller. Finnex makes a $27ish unit that I like a lot.

I looked at my purchase like this: I could spend $35-$40 getting the submersible heater I wanted, $50 in parts and materials to make my own in-line unit or $50 to buy one ready made.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnIgnit View Post
I've thought about getting an inline but 200w (The lowest I've found) seems overkill for an 8 gallon tank.
Once I went to canister and inline heater I never went back - it takes so MUCH clutter out of the tank. Better to have too much power than too little. Like what somewhatshocked said - it may take a small heater 4 hours of running a day or a larger one just a few minutes.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
I just got a fluval flora for my desk at work and I'm debating what to add. Any advice is welcome.

There isn't enough substrate provided in the default kit so I'm wondering if it would be worth getting some sand to mix it with or just get some eco-complete instead of using it?

I'll need a heater but would like it to be hidden as best as possible, does anyone have any recommendations on what best works for the flora?

I'll be getting a small canister filter for it and am leaning towards the eheim 2211. Are there other canister filters that might be better?
What do you plan on keeping? The reason I ask is that most offices keep their temperature in the low 70's and that is in the proper range for just about everything. As long as there isn't an air conditioning vent blowing directly on your tank you'll be fine. Plus you won't have to deal with the risk of a malfunctioning heater.

I haven't had a chance to play with the Spec yet is there a reason not to use the built in filtration? I can understand if it was like the EBI and had a huge in tank filter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if you do use different filtration, you don't gain any space in the tank because the fake wall they use can't be removed.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the flora is the same as the ebi for the most part, just includes CO2
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
the flora is the same as the ebi for the most part, just includes CO2
OOPS! for some reason I thought this was the Spec. By all means on the Flora replace that filter! On my EBI I use ZooMed 501 with half bio media and half filter floss. I like it since the filter itself is so small, I have the EBI on my countertop and the filter hidden inside a cookie jar. LOL

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode