1ish Gallon (Potential) Shrimp Jar - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1ish Gallon (Potential) Shrimp Jar

Hey Guys, I've been lurking on these forums for a while and I have already learned SO MUCH. So it's time for me to show off my new project.

But first some background. I have always had a terrarrium or aquarium going. Recently I've had hamsters and they don't really do well with a palludium.

On top of that I was out in the woods behind my house like 5-6 years ago and found this huge jar. So naturally I picked it up, threw some dirt in it and grew plants. Nothing exciting.

A while back I abandoned it and just found it like a month ago. For about as long as I can remember I've wanted to have a ecosystem type thing where the plants feed the shrimp and the shrimp feed the plants. So finally I went to my local shop and BOOM came back with a bunch of stuff (list later I actually need help identifying one...)
. I now know that what I am trying to accomplish is the Walstad bowl. I purchased the book and am hoping to crack it open tonight/tomorrow.

But here's what I've started so far:

So here's what is in there so far:

-The thing up front I actually forgot what it is. It is a banana-something. I got it because of its hilarious name and because it looks cool and is easy.
-Anubis got this because honestly, if I murdered it, that would be a sign that maybe, MAYBE, I'm not cut out for this
-Java moss - shrimp food

Also the substrate is, well, just substrate. I only read about putting real dirt down there after it was too late and, honestly, I'm kind of a purist. Next aquarium.

I also came back with two shrimp which were dead by the next day. I think this happened because I incorrectly conditioned the water (added a little water, added the drops added the rest of the water a while later).

So we're about 3 weeks past that now. The plants have both rooted really well and have both produced new flowers. Obviously it needs to be filled out. What I was thinking was some Jungle val. But I'm taking suggestions. I'm not going to do CO2. And right now I just have a bunch of LEDs, the smallest rig I could find. Why? Because I like the techology behind LEDs. Seriously if you have a free afternoon, read about them. SO AWESOME.

I was also thinking about some stuff that will float along the top. That is unless I'm going to be cutting down on the gas exchange. Again, advice here is much appreciated.

Another thing. There are little whitish clear things running about. They like to stick to the surface and the sides, but that could be because I can't see them otherwise. I'm sanitizing a dropper right now in order to get a better look at them. The only thing I can think of are water fleas, but they aren't really acting like water fleas.

Last thing. And this is the last thing, one of the 'banana' plants leaves broke off and is floating at the surface. At the base, a root is extending. I have another jarish thing that I can put it in. If it plant it in the substrate there will it grow?

List of questions that I asked in this OP:

Does this look like a fun place for shrimp?
If I get another plant or two, should I wait for them to get settled in before getting shrimp?
Would a Jungle Val look good (I think yes)? Anything else that would compliment them would be great (I can take more pictures, I don't have a very good camera).
Can you think of what some clearing white things flitting around would be?
What is the name of the plant in there that isn't Java Moss or Anubis?
If I were to take its broken leaf (it fell off like 5 days after I got it, poor little fella) and put it in some substrate, would it work?

BIG OP but this is the beginning of a wonderful adventure. Seriously I'm already in love with it and I'm going to have a thousand questions I'm sure. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Welcome. Yes, that is actually called a banana plant. The scientific name is Nymphoides aquatica.

To be honest, I wouldn't put jungle Val in there. It will get huge really fast and you won't have room for your shrimp. But it's up to you.

Word of warning: this hobby is addictive. Watch out!

"Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DECOMMISSIONED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DECOMMISSIONED
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Maybe those tiny things are Diporeia? Which are tiny arthropods, I call them tiny shrimp because thats what they make me think of. My fish go after those everytime they spot them.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Welcome. Yes, that is actually called a banana plant. The scientific name is Nymphoides aquatica.

To be honest, I wouldn't put jungle Val in there. It will get huge really fast and you won't have room for your shrimp. But it's up to you.
Awesome. Fantastic.

Yeah I heard it takes over. But I've see a lot of shrimp bowls that have it, and they didn't seem worse for it. What would you recommend?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfyn View Post
Maybe those tiny things are Diporeia? Which are tiny arthropods, I call them tiny shrimp because thats what they make me think of. My fish go after those everytime they spot them.
Their movement is arthropodic. I'm going to try isolating one tonight or tomorrow to see if I can get a better look. My microscope is 4 hours away. It may have to come to that.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Another question: I have city water. Is anything gained by running it through a Brita?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice jar. It reminds me of a pickle jar shape.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chondromalasia View Post
Awesome. Fantastic.

Yeah I heard it takes over. But I've see a lot of shrimp bowls that have it, and they didn't seem worse for it. What would you recommend?
If you want some plant with height, I guess a val could work. Or you could try some stem plant like rotala, but you might need more light for that.

Quote:
Another question: I have city water. Is anything gained by running it through a Brita?
A Brita is basically activated carbon, like the ones you may find in an aquarium filter. No harm running water through there before putting it in your jar. You should still get a dechlorinator/conditioner for the water if you're going to have livestock. Something like Seachem Prime. Things like these will get rid of the chlorine and chloramines that the filter can't.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Nice jar. It reminds me of a pickle jar shape.
Thanks I've literally had it for years and I've just wanted it for this purpose sooo bad but I was never 'settled' enough to do anything with it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Nice start. i suggest tying the Anubis to either a stone or a piece of wood and not have the rhizones in the soil. that certainly will kill it.

also i find that moss grows best when loose so you may want to separate it and put it in there for the shrimp to graze on. If you dont, it will grow and get all intertwined and sorta look ugly. GL!

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Nice start. i suggest tying the Anubis to either a stone or a piece of wood and not have the rhizones in the soil. that certainly will kill it.

also i find that moss grows best when loose so you may want to separate it and put it in there for the shrimp to graze on. If you dont, it will grow and get all intertwined and sorta look ugly. GL!
Having it in the soil will kill it? I was thinking about adding some driftwood to add visual depth.

Adding shrimp is the next step, to keep the moss in check.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Followup question: What sort of shrimp would be best for this tank/for a beginner?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Followup question: What sort of shrimp would be best for this tank/for a beginner?
For sure, red cherry shrimp.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Quote:
Having it in the soil will kill it? I was thinking about adding some driftwood to add visual depth.

Adding shrimp is the next step, to keep the moss in check.
tying it down to driftwood will be fine. the roots are ok in the soil, just not the rhizome itself as it starts to yellow and get upset.

Cherry shrimp are great starter shrimps because they are hardy and can endure the widest range of water parameters of any known shrimp.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode