zeldar's 3g Sulawesi shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
zeldar's 3g Sulawesi shrimp tank

I had this 3g Mr. Aqua tank in the attic for the last year and figured it was time to do something with it. I actually bought it with the intent of doing a Cardinal Shrimp tank a while ago. So I didn't have to buy any new equipment. I had a half bag of Nile Sand that was perfect for this size tank. I added a bottom layer of crushed coral to raise gh and kh. My tap water is 8ph, 4gh, 6kh, 180TDS.

I am planning on getting the Cardinals local. He is keeping them in straight up Houston tap water and having success so I prob won't doctor the water up much more than what the crushed coral will do. I will see what the params come out to in a couple days.

So now I just play the waiting game. I need the tank to cycle (I will add a bottle of SafeStart tomorrow to give it a kick start. I also need a nice layer of algae to grow on the rocks. They are very pourus so they should be ideal for the shrimp to pick at all day long.

I added some nana petite, singapore/weeping moss, and trident java. I am not really expecting them to do well in here, but we will see. There are some small manzanita branches soaking underwater so they will sink. I may add a couple to the rock pile to give it a different look.

Mr. Aqua 3 gallon bowfront
ADA nile sand with crushed coral base layer
27 watt Hampton Bay raised over a foot over the water surface
AquaClear 20

I am excited to finally try these shrimp. Now that the price has come down a little and hearing that they are much more forgiving than they used to be, I am hoping to breed them. I know 3g isn't ideal for a breeder tank but hopefully I can keep a small colony of 30 or so happy.

There isn't many Sulawesi tanks on the forums nowadays. What happened to their popularity? A couple years ago they were everywhere. I guess the fad wore out... Oh well, I love their look and for once I won't have to use an annoying cooling fan on top of the tank!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
I like the look!
The rocks make great places to hide shrimp!
And I'm more and more partial to anubias and java fern!
Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Daring, to use a tank so small for a Sulawesi biotope; I will be watching this!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
Thank you jasmine! I get the feeling this will be the nicest picture I get of this tank haha. I don't see the plants thriving much with these water params and no co2/ferts. They will probably get pretty ratty. But this tank is more for function over fashion. I just want to grow a good amount of surface algae for the shrimp to eat. Maybe the plants will soak up the excess nutrients so i can stay away from my nemisis, BBA... It sounds good in theory, but what are the chances? haha

I did lower the light to ~6" from the surface. 27watts over a 3g is quite a bit but I'll monitor the algae growth and raise it back up if need be. I will probably add the manzanita twigs once they are waterlogged to provide additional area for algae to grow.

Kiran! You are not helping my confidence level! You are supposed to say, don't worry, small tanks are easy. Cardinals will do GREAT in this tank! hahahha At least I haven't spend any money on this setup since I had it all laying around the house. I just want the shrimp to be happy. Its the worst part of the hobby when you know you are the reason the fish/shrimp die. It really does break my heart when I look in the tank and see a dead animal...

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice setup with the rocks and plants.

Ya I agree on your last sentence.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I too want to try Sulawesi and mala..... They are pretty cool!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode