Why nano.. - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why nano..

I get some of them look nice, they would just look nicer larger. I understand some are on limited space, and this question isn't for you.

Why keep a nano tank? Why go as small as possible? You can still spend a lot on a nano set up for barely anything. People may overlook it when they pass by, aren't these all display tanks we want people to see? Is it just some fad people have gotten into? Help me out, I think it's silly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
For me it's honestly just something I want. It's easy to relocate, easy to do maintenance on, easy to scape....etc. It's easier to maintain a nano than say a 40b with the same amount of plant density for the space that it's in. Granted, I'm slight restricted to how much space I have but I'm getting rid of a 20 tall for a Mini M (5.5g) soon if all goes well. I think it mostly comes down to personal preference and what you want in a tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Isn't it also easier to crash? If something goes wrong it's a lot worse off in a 5.5 than a 40B. Funny you'd say that, a 40B would be the absolute smallest I would go if I'm looking to make a nice looking tank. Just trying to wrap my head around it.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
While it may be true that it's easier to crash if you know how to manage a tank it shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure you look at your tank daily for enjoyment and could easily tell if you were developing an algae issue, right? Would you not take the appropriate action and correct it the same as you would in any other tank? Preventative maintenance prevents crashes and that also applies to a nano tank. It may take longer to crash a 40b than a 5g, but it still has the same baseline principals applied to it as a larger tank.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Often times I am unable to appreciate my tanks daily. The daily work, school, out and about the tanks get overlooked. I can see what you're saying however. I guess it is just a matter of personal preference.

Someone else should chime in and convince me though.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Algae Grower

I am pretty new to the hobby but my first tank is 8 gallons (nano!)

I have room for a bigger aquarium but:

-I wanted it on my desk...something to look at while working

-I was interested in a smaller fish (celestial pearl danio) and shrimp. In a large tank I would need 874 of them to make an impression, as it is I am good with 7

-I like the artistry involved. I am not saying there is not artistry is larger tanks (there is!!!) but it is similar to a bonsai tree. I have learned that a couple wrong snips at trim time and your tank can look like poo until it grows out.

-I like the testing. I like filling the test tubes and checking the colors. It takes me back to Mr. Wizard and makes me feel like a chemist.

-There is a money/ease factor. I only have to change 2 gallons at a time. The lights are smaller. It takes less power to run etc.

Those are a few of my reasons. I am sure there are more that I cannot think of due to low coffee intake I do think my next tank will be bigger, but I love my little nano.

Last edited by bluetibet; 03-26-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling oops
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
certain setups are better suited for certain inhabitants. i keep a 5.5 gallon for my betta. if he were in a 29 gallon, it would be empty, and putting in other fish would mean either he would get nipped, or they would get beaten up. so i keep him alone in a 5.5, and cuz im into planted tanks, i plant it.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Planted Member

A have had both larger sizes and nano tanks. I choose nanos to buy and run now solely. I have gotten rid of all my larger tanks. Why?

A couple of reasons, some already stated; easier to scape, move, etc. However the main reason for me? It allows me to do different types of designs easier. You need less materials for the design, less plants and less time for a full carpet to develop. If you want to change your design, its much quicker to do so.

They can fit almost anywhere, at work, on a bookshelf... you dont need a large footspace to place the tank. In the same amount of space you have for a 55gallon, you can have... 4+ nano tanks.

Honestly though, it just depends on what you like, and what your goal is. My goal is mainly shrimp keeping... I dont need a large tank to do that, nor do I want to search a large tank when I'm breeding shrimp.

Its mainly just personal preference, I prefer nanos for the looks, size, and creative ability.

Not to mention the overall asethic designs of nano tanks. For example, my favorite nano I currently have is a Fluval Edge... its sleek and modern style fits what I like. The simplicity of an ADA tank or the Flora/EBI fits that too..

Thats all
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
It's a matter of preference, space and aesthetics.

While I have the space for large tanks at home, I prefer to keep several smaller (20 and under) tanks so I can enjoy a variety of scapes, plant varieties and livestock. Granted, I tend to keep a different species of shrimp in each tank but it's mostly for different plants and styles of scape.

Can't say they're easier or more difficult than larger tanks. Larger bodies of water are obviously more forgiving when you make mistakes... just have to be more careful with a smaller tank.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I'm understanding it's enjoyed more based on the amount of tanks you can put everywhere with the variety you can have in each?
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
It's a matter of preference, space and aesthetics....
You could be a host of things, but I think those 3 are big. I would also add economics and time. It's less expensive and less time to setup and maintain a nano.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
for me its more challenging than a larger tank
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetibet View Post
I am pretty new to the hobby but my first tank is 8 gallons (nano!)

I have room for a bigger aquarium but:

-I wanted it on my desk...something to look at while working

-I was interested in a smaller fish (celestial pearl danio) and shrimp. In a large tank I would need 874 of them to make an impression, as it is I am good with 7

-I like the artistry involved. I am not saying there is not artistry is larger tanks (there is!!!) but it is similar to a bonsai tree. I have learned that a couple wrong snips at trim time and your tank can look like poo until it grows out.

-I like the testing. I like filling the test tubes and checking the colors. It takes me back to Mr. Wizard and makes me feel like a chemist.

-There is a money/ease factor. I only have to change 2 gallons at a time. The lights are smaller. It takes less power to run etc.

Those are a few of my reasons. I am sure there are more that I cannot think of due to low coffee intake I do think my next tank will be bigger, but I love my little nano.
If cost wasn't a factor, I would love to see 874 in a larger tank. Ha!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can we agree that larger tanks are much more impressive though? It takes more items, more scape, and more fish to make the impression, but I believe it's a pretty impressive thing.

I suppose however, some of us do dedicate the time we should to our tanks. I'm busy, like I said. So I don't trim as I should, I don't appreciate as I should. And when I do fish stuff, it's discus care.

I suppose fish interest is huge. I love apistos and discus. You cant really cram either in a nano. I believe however, no fish should be put in a tank that small. Shrimp are fine, they crawl and mind their own business. But fish should be allowed maximum room to swim as can be provided. A 5.5 is very small, the fish has little to no room to wander.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Algae Grower

I'm drawn to small tanks because you have to make every inch count. There is something beautiful about it's minimalism.

You could ask a man keeping bonsai why he doesn't plant a real tree, he will look confused. Give another man a bonsai and he wont see the point of such a tiny tree.

With a small tank even the smallest change is important. And that's exactly what appeals to me.

And I don't find larger tanks more impressive at all. They can be impressive, and yet so can small tanks. Very few small tanks make an impression, which is exactly why when the rare one does, it's all the more powerful.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode