Back from spring break - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Back from spring break

So I have this 1.5gallon tank with a Java Fern, Anubia, and 2 goldfish. The tank is only about 2-3 weeks old so it isn't cycled yet. I came back with some stuff though.
I have a bucket / siphon for water changes and a new light and timer.

As for bulbs, I have a 23W 2700K and a 13W 2700K CFL. Which should I use, or should I just go buy another one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I'd go for a 13w daylight above the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
both are useless to plants. you want one thats 5000k-10,000k. and even 13w is pretty high light for such a small tank. youll want to keep it high above the tank.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Those bulbs aren't useless, the color of the light is just ugly and yellow. Can you get to the store to exchange for 5500-6500K bulbs? I would use the 13 watt bulb, one was fine over my betta's hex.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Full tank shot

What causes this? I know the water level is low, it drops quicker with the top off and the light bulb on.

My java fern is growing, still looks rough.

Here's the Anubia.

Just checked
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: .2
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Make sure the rhizome of the java fern and anubias aren't buried.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Make sure the rhizome of the java fern and anubias aren't buried.
I don't believe either are, but thanks.

What would cause the film I seem to be getting on the edge of the tank?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
That tank is far too small for those fish...

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
thats just surface scum. its pretty common and harmless. a surface skimmer, or strong surface agitation will get rid of it. i just skim the top of the surface with my siphon for a bit during water changes.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBSHS View Post
What causes this? I know the water level is low, it drops quicker with the top off and the light bulb on.
Evaporation - which increases with surface area (no lid) and heat (light).
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Hey, I don't like to be the one to say this, but 1.5 gallons is waaaaaaay too small for 1 let alone 2, goldfish. 30 gallons would suffice, but that's literally 20x more water than this.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
if you cleaned out your filter, you'd have more agitation and less film. that filter looks slowed to a trickle. And it's been said like 3 times, but you'll def need a bigger tank, else trade in those goldies for something else. gl

RAOK club #37

|
|
|
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
if you cleaned out your filter, you'd have more agitation and less film. that filter looks slowed to a trickle. And it's been said like 3 times, but you'll def need a bigger tank, else trade in those goldies for something else. gl
I've always been told not to clean the filter to allow the beneficial bacteria a place to grow.

also, the fish are leaving once the tank is cycled and shrimp are going in.

I'm going to need a lot more plants for the shrimp.
What plants work well?
Do I need CO2?
Should I get dirt for underneath the gravel?
Should I get rid of the gravel?

I'd like a nice foreground plant that won't need CO2, also, a recommended light bulb would be appreciated as well so they get enough light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawolf86 View Post
Evaporation - which increases with surface area (no lid) and heat (light).
I meant what causes the film, not what causes the loss of water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode