Thinktank: Starting an ADA Mini-L - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thinktank: Starting an ADA Mini-L

So I am a big nano tank fan, and I'm looking at ideas for my next nano tank. I have decided I want to do an ADA Mini-L.

I have narrowed down choices based on the charts below. Filter wise I want a cheap nano canister filter that can be placed below the tank without loss of flow and has the ability to have an in-line filter attached.

Light wise... I'm looking for anything that can grow high-light level plants, but is also slim.. I was looking at some of Archaea's LED clamps which are super thin... however they don't have enough power to grow the plants. These are the lights I have looked into. If you have any others that come to mine please share.

I want this tank to be beautiful and materialistic looking... so I want equipment that is well hidden or wont distract from the aesthetic appeal of such a beautiful tank.

If you have any suggestions at all please let me know! Thanks for reading~

Last edited by Lludu; 03-21-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Also, if anyone has any experience with the Beamworks LED fixtures please let me know
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Use a 2213 for the Mini L. This will offer you appropriate flow, biological filtration capacity and later on, lily pipe sizes for the Mini L.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'd avoid the Fluval co2 kit at all costs.

But if you do go with the Fluval co2 I think the 36w archaea light may be too much.

I don't own it so I can't really speak for its quality but I think 27w would be more appropriate.

Also depending on livestock and where the tank is kept you might find a heater completely unnecessary, it all depends on how warm the ambient temp is though.

I'd ditch the gush pod for the time being and try to put money towards a proper co2 system with a 5lb tank.

edit: And I agree with Frank on the filter, I have a 2213 on my Mini M and it's great, can't imagine a 2211 on the Mini L, plus having the same size tubing for inflow and outflow is a bonus as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have the 45cm Archaea LED on my rimless 10g. It grows plants fine.

I'm growing low to med light plants. No CO2.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post

You are the first person I've heard of who uses it. Can you compare the brightness to any other lighting setups?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Use a 2213 for the Mini L. This will offer you appropriate flow, biological filtration capacity and later on, lily pipe sizes for the Mini L.
This tank is only going to be shrimps with maybe a dwarf orange cray later on. Hence the small canister, though I thought the 2211 would be overkill for the Mini-L? Would the lily pipes work on the 2211?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
I'd avoid the Fluval co2 kit at all costs.

But if you do go with the Fluval co2 I think the 36w archaea light may be too much.

I don't own it so I can't really speak for its quality but I think 27w would be more appropriate.
Why avoid the Fluval C02? Just curious on that, you are the first one to say anything about it. What would you do instead? I was looking at the 27w lamp but kept seeing that because of the size of the tank, some high-level plants may not grow as fast because of the length of the light compared to the 36w.

And would you stick to the PC over the LEDs?
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:

Thats all i see.. Its great for the med-light. I want to try doing a UG carpet.. so that may cause an issue.. though honestly this is my favorite light out of all of them I have seen. Its beautiful.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I have a Mini L with a 2211. Get the 2213.

Also listen to what Chlorophile is telling you about co2. I have a 5lb tank on mine now, but before that I had a paintball setup. The Fluval kit will be a waste of money in the end.

I also have the 36w Archaea PC light. IMO, it's the best light for the Mini L. Check out my Mini L thread and let me know if you have any questions.

Can I ask where you are getting a 2211 for $59? Also your inline heater cost seams a little high.

-

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
I have a Mini L with a 2211. Get the 2213.

Also listen to what Chlorophile is telling you about co2. I have a 5lb tank on mine now, but before that I had a paintball setup. The Fluval kit will be a waste of money in the end.

I also have the 36w Archaea PC light. IMO, it's the best light for the Mini L. Check out my Mini L thread and let me know if you have any questions.

Can I ask where you are getting a 2211 for $59? Also your inline heater cost seams a little high.
Eheim 2211 - Amazon

Does the 2211 just seem slow to you on returns?

This is the first time I will ever be using co2... I practically no nothing on the subject so I'm trying to find out something thats not overly expensive but will work. Do you have any other suggestions on the co2?

Do you think the 27w light would be fine here, or should i go for the 36w to be safe?

And where are you finding the in-line heater for cheaper? I've searched everywhere lol
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Great price on the 2211. I paid $70 locally and it was a good buy at the time.

The 2211 does ok on the min L. With a pre-filter it slows down a lot more. Remember that most filters are rated with no media in them. Add media, purigen and a pre-filter and ...... The 2213 also has a media basket. If you get the 2211 you'll see why this is a great feature.

I just purchased a 2213 impeller, which I heard will help a little. If I knew now what I didn't know then, I would have got the 2213.

co2 is a big topic. If you are even thinking of med-high light anything, you'll need a solid co2 setup. Even with a paintball setup you'll have to turn it on and off each day or let it run (really slow) 24/7. Inconsistent co2 levels will cause BBA in a heartbeat. If you go with the Fluval or paintball setup, run it 24/7.

The 36w light, extended all the way up, will produce around 40umuls at the substrait. Tom Barr once told me that 40umols at sub could grow ANY plant well.

A quick ebay search turned up several seller for around $40 on the heater. Even pet mountain has it cheaper than what you found.

-

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
You are the first person I've heard of who uses it. Can you compare the brightness to any other lighting setups?
Low light. Almost same exact values as my two mini CFLs 20w total on my other 10g.

I grow Crypts
Ludwigia
Blyxa
Etc.

Here are bad pics of my tank. My Anubias flowered in the tank while free floating.

I just throw odds and ends in there. No 'scape to speak of. I just hacked it all back. My Ludwigia and Duckweed had gone crazy.

The pic w the Betta is older. My Crypt nurii Pahang Mutated got shaded out, but is growing back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332370911.657448.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	44403  

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332370928.873376.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	44404  

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332370951.111174.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	44405  

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332370975.802953.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	44406  

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332371112.694041.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	44407  

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332371251.113888.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	44408  

post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Low light. Almost same exact values as my two mini CFLs 20w total on my other 10g.
Yeah thats the unfortunate thing. Too Bad! I wish they had made it stronger. Its such a nice light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
Great price on the 2211. I paid $70 locally and it was a good buy at the time.

The 2211 does ok on the min L. With a pre-filter it slows down a lot more. Remember that most filters are rated with no media in them. Add media, purigen and a pre-filter and ...... The 2213 also has a media basket. If you get the 2211 you'll see why this is a great feature.

I just purchased a 2213 impeller, which I heard will help a little. If I knew now what I didn't know then, I would have got the 2213.

co2 is a big topic. If you are even thinking of med-high light anything, you'll need a solid co2 setup. Even with a paintball setup you'll have to turn it on and off each day or let it run (really slow) 24/7. Inconsistent co2 levels will cause BBA in a heartbeat. If you go with the Fluval or paintball setup, run it 24/7.

The 36w light, extended all the way up, will produce around 40umuls at the substrait. Tom Barr once told me that 40umols at sub could grow ANY plant well.

A quick ebay search turned up several seller for around $40 on the heater. Even pet mountain has it cheaper than what you found.
I'll look more into the 2213, the basket with it sounds like a nice addition too.
Co2... man thats probably going to be the thing I wrap my head around and bang it on the desk. I'd be game for doing a paintball setup or something of the sort... I just have no idea how to do so, or how much its gonna cost to do it. Cant you put a regulator on it and have it kick on on a timed event?

Its going to be a draw for me with the 27w vs the 36w. I dont mind if the light is lower, though I guess in the long run maybe the 36w would be a better choice.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The fluval mini co2 is not so bad for a starter kit. I quickly switched to an aquaticlife regulator with solenoid. Solenoid is the way to go because you can hook up your Co2 to a timer Mine shuts off a couple hours before my lights. Works great.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokaah View Post
The fluval mini co2 is not so bad for a starter kit. I quickly switched to an aquaticlife regulator with solenoid. Solenoid is the way to go because you can hook up your Co2 to a timer Mine shuts off a couple hours before my lights. Works great.
Thats nice... I'm seeing prices for that at about 150... which kinda hurts the pocket lol. Where did you get yours?

BTW Where in York do you live? I just moved from there to Frederick (Mom lives in York still)... dont know anyone on the forums from there haha

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode