Preparing for new ADA 45-f Setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Preparing for new ADA 45-f Setup

Hello all. I have been more of a watcher in these forums for some time and actually am just getting back into the hobby after a couple years. Hoping to get some opinions here - I also plan to document the lifecycle of my setup as a Journal once everything arrives.

Here is what I have coming:
  • ADA 45-f ~4.6 gallon (yes the pond-like nano) - 18"x10"x6"
  • Eco-complete substrate
  • Aquaclear 70 w/ AQ 20 impeller set up as a FW fuge
  • Zoo Med Deep Mini CFL fixture
  • 15w GE 6500k Bulb

Here is what I have already to add:
  • Established bio-media for filter
  • Java Moss
  • Crypt Wendtii (sp?)
  • 3 Cherry Shrimp
  • 2 White Clouds

I plan to dose Excel and Flourish ~3 times/week. Currently no plans for CO2. I don't have much experience dosing, so any advice here would be great.

A few questions:
  • Should I do water changes or just top-offs?
  • I want to add some lowish-light plants that work work well in such a shallow tank. Any ideas?
  • Where is the best place to get smaller pieces of Manzanita? I recall someone selling nano packages a couple years back...
  • If I do add CO2, I would prefer to but a package that is all inclusive, with tank and regulator. Any suppliers here that offer packages for smaller tanks (not the ones with proprietary requirements such as the Fluval)?
  • Any other advice or ideas for something with this setup?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JBJ Picotope

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
yyiiisssss more 45-fs on the forum.

Mosses are really ideal for the -f, along with smaller anubias. It just doesn't have the height for other low light plants like java fern, and even some crypts.

I hate to sound like I'm advertising, but I'm probably going to be selling some nano manzanita in the near future, shoot me a PM and I may be able to put something together for you.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
I recommend getting your hands on some additional mosses. Willow, Fissidens, et al. They look terrific in short tanks.

Anubias nana 'petite', Marsilea minuta, Bacopa australis, glosso, Dwarf Baby Tears (yes, those two will do okay in low tech situations but grow slowly), C. parva, Pygmy Chain Sword, you could keep many species of Java Fern until they start getting too tall.

Depending upon how you scape the tank, you could have areas that are mostly out of the water or partially out of the water. That could open up tons of opportunities to grow plants that aren't fully aquatic.

LOVE these tanks. Can't wait to see photos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I recommend getting your hands on some additional mosses. Willow, Fissidens, et al. They look terrific in short tanks.

Anubias nana 'petite', Marsilea minuta, Bacopa australis, glosso, Dwarf Baby Tears (yes, those two will do okay in low tech situations but grow slowly), C. parva, Pygmy Chain Sword, you could keep many species of Java Fern until they start getting too tall.

Depending upon how you scape the tank, you could have areas that are mostly out of the water or partially out of the water. That could open up tons of opportunities to grow plants that aren't fully aquatic.

LOVE these tanks. Can't wait to see photos.
Thanks for the info. I have done some searching but am failing to find decent freshwater planted setups using this tank. Know of any good threads that I may be missing?

It would be great to get some plants in there that grow right out of the water - any suggestions of hardy species that do so?

I do like Java Fern, but am unsure which one to go with in this tank - any you know of that stay smaller/shorter?

JBJ Picotope

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Not a 45-F, but this is a great 60-F setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkQFfiW_aL4

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Not a 45-F, but this is a great 60-F setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkQFfiW_aL4
Thanks for the link and your great how-to thread! Am I really going to be that much worse off using Eco-Complete as opposed to Aqua Soil? I could always return the Eco as I haven't even gotten it yet...

JBJ Picotope

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
If all you did was change your eco-complete plans to aqua soil, you would save yourself a lot of time, frustration and growth problems. That's probably the best thing you can buy ADA.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
If all you did was change your eco-complete plans to aqua soil, you would save yourself a lot of time, frustration and growth problems. That's probably the best thing you can buy ADA.
I might have to do that then - will delay the setup but I want to take my time anyway. I don't see anywhere that has the powder in stock, would the regular Amazonia suffice? I would appreciate it if you could elaborate on the pros/cons of both types.

Also - I have Flourish root tabs that I could place on the glass prior to adding the Amazonia - would it be worth it?

JBJ Picotope

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Aquasoil is nutrient-rich. You won't need root tabs for a couple years.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
If you still plan to grow crypts, the root tabs may be beneficial, otherwise they're not really needed.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Aquasoil is the best. The problem is finding it in the stores. I've use both soils, I would suggest Aquasoil by far.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:59 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
for 45f~
I'm too new to give any advice, but I can't wait to follow the journal

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
Aquasoil is the best. The problem is finding it in the stores. I've use both soils, I would suggest Aquasoil by far.
I am going to call all LFS in the Chicago area tomorrow morning to see if they have Aqua Soil in stock. If not, I may just stick with Eco + Root Tabs unless I can find a place that doesn't change an arm and a leg for shipping AS. Yes this is an invitation to suggest a vendor (if acceptable on this forum).

Question - How much Aqua Soil do you think I would need for the 45-f? Dimensions are approximately 18x10x6

JBJ Picotope

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought a 9L bag and have about 50% left over. The only bags I saw they sale was 3L and 9L though, I would've gotten 6 if there was one XD

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Can't wait to see another 45-f!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode