To vacuum or airline tube 2.25 gallon vase? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
To vacuum or airline tube 2.25 gallon vase?

Today was the first day I used my tom's aquatic vacuum on my now fully planted 2.25 gallon vase. It didn't work well. Didn't get a lot of debris up and I accidentally got the little sock outside the bowl once and got water on the table. The batteries, which are pretty new, may have needed to be changed. When I used this on the bowl when only partially planted, I thought it worked quite well. I change the water with a dixie cup to a milk jug. Takes two minutes. My question is: Am I going to have a problem using the vacuum now that there are so many more plants, etc.? Should I go the airline tube siphon route? Anyone's thoughts or experiences, esp. with the vacuum at such smaller sizes would be appreciated as the other vacuum works great on the 5 gallon with 3.5 gallons of water in it. If you suggest airline tubing, how would I do that? I only have one horned nerite in there now, so livestock is not much of a factor. After it gets done helping me clean up, I may go straight to just a planted tank. Or may do a few shrimip. Happily undecided right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I use airline tubing on my vase, even though it takes forever to drain the vase halfway. It keep the substrate nice and undisturbed, you can snake it around plants, and unless you leave it sitting on the bottom on the tank and go wander off for a half hour, there's no danger of draining too much water. The downside is it's slow, and you have to start the syphon...I end up using my mouth since I don't have a fancy-shmancy syphon starter.
Still, cheap, easy, no danger of hurting anything...it's worth it!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can pre-fill the tubing if you don't want to use your mouth. It's such a small volume of water you can easily pre-fill at the sink or existing water.

I use my mouth, I use it on my bare bottom S/W to remove the detritus but pain in the rear when something the same size as the tubing gets sucked up and stuck inside.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
I use airline tubing on my vase, even though it takes forever to drain the vase halfway. It keep the substrate nice and undisturbed, you can snake it around plants, and unless you leave it sitting on the bottom on the tank and go wander off for a half hour, there's no danger of draining too much water. The downside is it's slow, and you have to start the syphon...I end up using my mouth since I don't have a fancy-shmancy syphon starter.
Still, cheap, easy, no danger of hurting anything...it's worth it!
Hey, you're back from spring break!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi Kameon View Post
Hey, you're back from spring break!!
lol nah, still on spring break, but just chilling at home from school. Is it sad I'd rather be at school and playing with my tanks?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like to use air tubing in my 4g nano... Only takes a few minutes to siphon out 1g and does not hurt a thing or suck up my shrimps...lol

The Fraternity of Dirt #70
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
i use airline tubing for my nanos and my 1.5 gallon cylinder bowl. Since all are planted i also use a small rake tool to slightly ruffle the substrate and suck with the tubing from there. its no more than a few minutes of work on each tank and allows me to spot clean each tank.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Hehe, in one of my nanos, i used a starbucks straw attached to airline tubing. That way I could siphon out the corners. Lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mr. Aqua 11.4 g...coming soon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
lol nah, still on spring break, but just chilling at home from school. Is it sad I'd rather be at school and playing with my tanks?
In one word: no.
Thanks guys. The rake and straw suggestions were particularly interesting. I will be trying the air line siphon in next few days--see how it goes! Been a looong time since I used a straight siphon.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
If it's too slow for your liking and you want to put it on autopilot for a bit, you can just put the end of the siphon in as far as you want the water to be taken out and then tape it to the edge of the vase.

I use a clamp in the same fashion on my tank so that I can leave it unattended without having to worry about too much water taken out.

Just be sure to fashion a sponge on the end if you have any critters.

-KC

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
A suction cup to hold it in place works well for an auto-pilot solution, too.

16 Gallon Spec
Flora: Christmas moss, Buce plants, anubias, Bocapa monnieri, Marimo Moss Balls, Repens, Crypt wendtii
Fauna: Chili Rasboras, Blue Velvet Shrimp, Amanos, Nerite

Eheim Pimp Club Member #498
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatPeekin View Post
A suction cup to hold it in place works well for an auto-pilot solution, too.
I can only assume that the vase is curved, but that would work on a flat surface, yeah! Though, I don't trust suction cups. I never have any luck with them.

-KC

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use a short piece or rigid tubing with my airline tubing, it makes it easier to get into the corners and pick up specific items. I hold the free end of the tubing so I can block it with my thumb when I need to pick up a leaf or other item that is too large to go into the tubing or might get stuck. The suction holds it on the tubing so I can pull it out of the bowl and remove it from the end of the rigid tubing.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a bamboo skewer taped to my airline tubing so I can control it and put it where I want it in my planted bowl. And I put a medicine syringe on the other end so all I have to do is pull back on the piston and pop it out to get the water to flow. As much as my cat seems to like it I don't think I want to drink fish water haha.
Anthony
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tried it yesterday and it worked great. Even used the more flexible silicone tubing since it is what I had here and no problems. Liked the small amount of water flow so I could really clean the debris without having to worry about draining more water than I wanted. If a piece of gravel started climbing the tubing, I just pinched the flow off with my finger for a second. One narrow piece stayed in, but I flushed that out with water in the end. I looked for a medicine syringe at drugstore a week ago. Couldn't find one. I'm going to ask at the counter. I put the whole tubing in and got it full this time, but a syringe sounds simpler. It is a curved vase, but will keep suggestions in mind for when I just want to drain it--although a dixie cup into an old water jug takes just a couple of minutes too.

Tags
nano bowl, siphon, vacuum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode