Self Sustaining Nano-Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Self Sustaining Nano-Tank

Hi Friends,

I am new to keeping an Planted Tank , I am wondering is it possible to have a self-sustaining nano-tank?

Currently i have a 55 G tank, with DIY CO2, and the plants are thriving. But i am wondering is it possible to setup a nano-tank with CO2 from Fishes and 50 % water change regularly...

Is it possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
Most people who end up with self sustaining tanks just get lucky. It's difficult to set one up from the start.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
100% self-sustaining would not be possible AFAIK.

NPT/Walstad-style tanks come close tho. I'm just getting back into the hobby but my previous tank was a 10gal NPT. Plant/fish/shrimp respiration, fish/shrimp waste, decomposing plant matter, and fish food provided CO2 and fertilizer. No water changes at all; just top-offs. No filter even. It was a great tank that required very little maintenance.

That being said, I still fed the fish/shrimp every few days, topped-off the water twice a month, and pruned plants once a month or so.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
get an ecosphere LOL
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsDubC View Post

NPT/Walstad-style tanks come close tho. I'm just getting back into the hobby but my previous tank was a 10gal NPT. Plant/fish/shrimp respiration, fish/shrimp waste, decomposing plant matter, and fish food provided CO2 and fertilizer. No water changes at all; just top-offs. No filter even. It was a great tank that required very little maintenance.

That being said, I still fed the fish/shrimp every few days, topped-off the water twice a month, and pruned plants once a month or so.
Nice!!!

How much Shripms/Fishes you had, how much would be enough to grow one Tiger Lily and dwarf grass to grow?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My Tank is a Open 5G Bowl, with a wide moth; so a Tiger Lily can be planted and coaxed to Bloom

I was planning to have Crystal Red Shrimp and River Stream Loach...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldrine.einsteen View Post
My Tank is a Open 5G Bowl, with a wide moth; so a Tiger Lily can be planted and coaxed to Bloom

I was planning to have Crystal Red Shrimp and River Stream Loach...

omg thats genius, i might steal this idea. lol.

My tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldrine.einsteen View Post
Nice!!!

How much Shripms/Fishes you had, how much would be enough to grow one Tiger Lily and dwarf grass to grow?
IIRC, that tank had 1 oto, 5 ember tetras, and a 30+ colony of RCS.

I don't know that it'll work if you just have a tiger lily and DHG. I always recommend a sizable amount of fast-growing plantmass to start off unless you want to grow algae
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Exclamation

Quote:
IIRC, that tank had 1 oto, 5 ember tetras, and a 30+ colony of RCS.

I don't know that it'll work if you just have a tiger lily and DHG. I always recommend a sizable amount of fast-growing plantmass to start off unless you want to grow algae
What are the plants do you have in your tank....

A pic with plant list would be helpful...

Lets say about 10 % of CO2 is dissolved from Atmosphere....
So the remaining CO2 is provided by Fish...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Algae Grower

I never took pics unfortunately because it was just an experimental tank. I set it up to see what I could grow and what I couldn't. Every plant I tried grew or at least didn't die. Here's the list IIRC:

Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala sp. 'Green'
Fissidens fontanus
Java moss
Subwassertang
Anubias nana 'Petite'
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Crypt lucens
Downoi
Wisteria
Hygrophila polysperma
Marsilea minuta
Hornwort
Duckweed lol
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
If by "self-sustaining tank", you mean low-maintenance, they can be very easy to set up (as long as you do your research first). The easiest setups utilize rapidly-growing plants with animals that have a low contribution to the total bio-load. If you leave out the DIY CO2, you'll have one less thing to maintain. Upon initial set up, monitor algae and plant growth closely and adjust water/lighting parameters as necessary. For instance, if you see increasing algae growth, consider decreasing your light intensity and doing small, frequent water changes to reduce nutrient levels until conditions improve.

Quote:

+1 for NPT/Walstad-style tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
Most people who end up with self sustaining tanks just get lucky. It's difficult to set one up from the start.
-1 for achieving a successful tank by luck; There's little luck involved - it all comes down to understanding the science of freshwater ecosystems.

Tags
nano tanks, plants, self sustaining

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode