An Iwagumi called "Impatience" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
An Iwagumi called "Impatience"

Hi everyone, I thought I'd share my attempt at an Iwagumi. I've done several saltwater nanos with good success but i have to admit this little tank has tried my patience like no other. What was supposed to be a simple experiment just turned 6 months old.

Tank
Aquarium Master 5.5 gallon, derimmed (actual volume - 4gal with rock and dirt)
Azoo Soil
In-tank sponge filter AquaClear 20
Cheap heater
Sylvania 23w CFL Daylight (6500k) - 4 hours on, 4 off, 5 on

Parameters
pH - ~8.3 ( it was stable at 7.4 but it's crept up in the last 2 months)
Alkalinity KH - 12 dKH/214.8ppm
GH - 12 dGH/214.8ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 10ppm
72 deg F

Dosing
Excel 0.5ml/day (damn algae)
Flourish Total - 0.5ml 2x week
Phosphate to 2ppm (not currently dosing due to algae)

Plants
Dwarf hair grass (Eleocharis acicularis)
Dwarf babies tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides)
New:
Anubias Nana
Carolina Fanwort

Livestock
Assassin snail
Assassin snail food
New:
Galaxy Rasbora (3)
Otto Cat

Former Residents
Amano shrimp 2x -both went walkabout
Micro sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis) - too invasive
Blyxa japonica - Got holes, melted (the general consensus is to high pH)

I have good plant growth from both the hair grass and HC; however the Blyxa is growing very slowly. It's leaves regularly dissolve only to grow back, I'm not sure what's going on there. The only serious problems I have are snails and algae. The snails crap all over the place which I'm sure contributes to the algae. I do a 2x week 50% water change/vacuum to remove as much as I can.

Planned Changes/Upgrades
Replace dwarf hair grass with something that can reach the surface (~8 inches), full size hair grass or something bushy.
Celestial Pearl Danio
Shrimp (Yellow, Blue Pearl, or CRS)
I'm also thinking maybe some frogbit or other small leafed floating plant.
Oh yeah, I should probably get a real light.

Questions
Any suggestion as to why the pH is climbing? I know the rock is adding to the hardness but why would it start climbing after 5 months?
Also, once i stock the tank I'm concerned about cleaning. When I do a 50% water change there's not much water in the tank and it can get pretty cloudy. As i remove the snails the amount of detritus has gone down considerably, but with so little water...

Update 3/27/12
I purchased a more accurate set test kits (pH, KH, GH) and retested everything.
The tap water is: pH - 8.87, kH - 12 dKH/214.8ppm, GH - 16 dGH/286.4ppm

Update 4/29/12
I've solved the pH problem; it was a combination of tap water (w/ high pH and KH) and evaporation top-off (using tap water :P). Coming from a salt water background I should have thought of it sooner. The snail problem is almost gone, there is still detritus but it's under control. As for algae, i let the diatoms go for two weeks and then vacuumed them out and that seems to have solved that problem as well.

Any feedback or criticism is appreciated,
SJL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dry_tank_front.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	44331  

Name:	First_planting.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	44332  

Name:	Dry_final.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	44333  

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	44334  

Name:	Set_up.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	44335  

Last edited by Am I done yet?; 04-30-2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Updated pH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Woah haven't heard the term alkalinity in a long time!
That's the same as dKh right, carbonate hardness?

Nice tank!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Nice tank. Your username goes great with the title, lol

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would say your done yet....lol
Nice looking tank. Leave it just like that except it would be nice to loose the heater since it really messes with the flow of the tank setting.........>

The Fraternity of Dirt #70
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Algae Grower

You'll definitely want to bring that ph down if you plan on keeping CRS in there. Those rocks might be contributing to the higher ph. Did you test them with vinegar before putting them in?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Woah haven't heard the term alkalinity in a long time!
That's the same as dKh right, carbonate hardness?

Nice tank!
Thanks. Ha ha, I guess my noob is showing. That's what it said on the test kit. I never worried about it on the reef tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Nice tank. Your username goes great with the title, lol
Ha ha ha, I totally didn't intend that. I usually cant stop tinkering with something, hence the "Am I done yet?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by picotank View Post
I would say your done yet....lol
Nice looking tank. Leave it just like that except it would be nice to loose the heater since it really messes with the flow of the tank setting.........>
Thanks. I agree, the heater is pretty ugly. Unfortunately the tank is so small that it cant maintain it's temperature overnight. I live in an older house and the temperature fluctuates too much. I'll take it out when it warms up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimp pliskin View Post
You'll definitely want to bring that ph down if you plan on keeping CRS in there. Those rocks might be contributing to the higher ph. Did you test them with vinegar before putting them in?
The CRSs are last on the list, but point taken. No I didn't test them (which i regret). At the time the tank was supposed to be a short term experiment. I wanted to see if planted tanks were for me before I invested a ton of money in a larger tank with all the gear. I chose rocks were cheap, local, and interesting (or that could be made interesting with the skillful application of a sledge hammer). Now, I like having the little fella around and I'd hate to take him down.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That's a beautiful tank. I like where you put the rocks and the the grass.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
seriously. journals like yours make it looks so nice and easy (although probably not for most, including me). very nicely done!
what bulb are you using btw?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Very inspiring, makes me want to do the DSM for my next project. Can you tell me how long did you had them emersed and what kind of regimen were you on to get the HC to grow like that? Did the HC melt when you finally flooded the tank?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Terrific tank.

And an even more terrific illustration of what one can do with a cheap clamp-style work light from the hardware store (I'm a huge fan and use them all the time. Though, my peeve is having a visible cord - maybe wrap that thing around the clamp a bit to disguise it?)

What wattage and brand of bulb are you using?

Love it.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Love the tank. Throw a small canister, pipes and an inline heater on it and it'll be gold.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey All, I'm using a 23 Watt Sylvania micro-mini CFL (6500k). I keep it between 5 and 8 inches above the tank. It could probably go lower but the tank still has algae issues. At 12 inches the HC starts to melt. It did regrow so I don't know if it was due to a lack of light or the sudden change in light level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc91006 View Post
Very inspiring, makes me want to do the DSM for my next project. Can you tell me how long did you had them emersed and what kind of regimen were you on to get the HC to grow like that? Did the HC melt when you finally flooded the tank?
I did DSM on the HC for 6 weeks and then 2 more with the hairgrass and micro sword. The soil is heavily sloped so I filled the tank to the bottom of the slope and then misted with de-chlorinated water in the morning and evening. I also partially covered the tank with cellophane. Toward the end it was difficult to keep everything moist. Once submerged there was only a small amount of HC melting (mostly the dry leaves). The other thing I did was after everything was stable I trimmed all the unrooted plants an replanted them so everything would be fully rooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnod View Post
seriously. journals like yours make it looks so nice and easy (although probably not for most, including me). very nicely done!
what bulb are you using btw?
Thanks. I wish it was easy; even after reading a lot of posts here and on Tom Barrs site there was sill a lot things to work out. And well, I do like to experiment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Terrific tank.

And an even more terrific illustration of what one can do with a cheap clamp-style work light from the hardware store (I'm a huge fan and use them all the time. Though, my peeve is having a visible cord - maybe wrap that thing around the clamp a bit to disguise it?)

What wattage and brand of bulb are you using?

Love it.
Ha ha, one can never have enough work lights. The only thing I don't like about the setup is the support frame. I need to figure out something less obtrusive and that can hide the wire.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

As both pH and the algae problems are under control I decided to make some changes. I removed some of the hair grass (what a mess) and replaced it with some stem plants (fanwort i think); also some anubias nana where the blyxa was. I just added some fish, galaxy rasbora, today. If the HC in the pictures looks a little strange because it has just been trimmed.

I'm not totally sold on the fanwort, while it achieves the effect that i wanted it not quite the look I was hoping for. I may replace with something a little more leafy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Update_3qtr.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	46562  

Name:	Update_front.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	46563  

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
very peaceful tank
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update part 2

Fish are stupid.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stupid.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	46603  

Tags
iwagumi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode