What would you do with an 11.4g Mr. Aqua - High Tech?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Adkins.its
What would you do with an 11.4g Mr. Aqua - High Tech?!

I need to figure out what route to go with this bad boy. I have everything for a high tech just sitting here ready to go. The only thing I need to do is hard scape.

And that's my down fall...I thought I was dead set on a tree scape. Now, I'm second guessing my plans. I just don't know now. I'm stuck and I need a push friends!

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1332107163972.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	44243

11.4g - Rimless Tree Scape
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Check out my journal in my signature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ill check it out! Thanks!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Btw what are your plans with stocking? Shrimp? Fish?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm thinking that some kind of tetra is going to be my only option. Do to keeping my scaling correct. What do you think? May go with some kind of snail. As far as shrimp go...I haven't really thought about it. I know I will probably do something a little more exotic than cherries.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adkins.its View Post
I'm thinking that some kind of tetra is going to be my only option. Do to keeping my scaling correct. What do you think? May go with some kind of snail. As far as shrimp go...I haven't really thought about it. I know I will probably do something a little more exotic than cherries.
Tetras are awesome, but personally I like rasboras more (unless we're talking about ember tetras which are amazing!). There are tons of nano fish that could go in there! I have some chili rasboras which I adore, I plan on getting celestial pearl danios or gold ringed danios which are some more types of nano fish. Endlers Livebearers are great nano fish as well! Honestly all of these fish would work: http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

I can't wait to see how this turns out! I'll be watching!!!

"Believe you can, and you're half way there."
~Theodore Roosevelt
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
i personally really enjoy the tree scape. I find it more rewarding than an iwagumi for various reasons...
1. i suck at iwagumi.
2. i like plants growing on the tree. haha it's nice to be able to the the upper space for plants than just a stone.. but i still love iwagumi set.

as for fish, i LOVE my cpds and love my aru2 even more! they really exhibit interesting behavior often. I can stare at them all day...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

With tetras and Rasboras, the larger the group is, the better they look as they're naturally in huge quantities in nature. So I wouldn't put them in a small 11.4G. I find shrimp as a good option as when you have a low tech tank with shrimp, once you have everything settled in, it's pretty much on auto pilot.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
With tetras and Rasboras, the larger the group is, the better they look as they're naturally in huge quantities in nature. So I wouldn't put them in a small 11.4G. I find shrimp as a good option as when you have a low tech tank with shrimp, once you have everything settled in, it's pretty much on auto pilot.
I do see your point about the larger the grouping, the better on Tetra and Rasboras. I enjoy shirmp tanks a lot but...I think if I go tree scape on this, I'll wanna have at least a few fish swimming round it it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnod View Post
i personally really enjoy the tree scape. I find it more rewarding than an iwagumi for various reasons...
1. i suck at iwagumi.
2. i like plants growing on the tree. haha it's nice to be able to the the upper space for plants than just a stone.. but i still love iwagumi set.

as for fish, i LOVE my cpds and love my aru2 even more! they really exhibit interesting behavior often. I can stare at them all day...
1. I have never tried it. I have read into it a bit and I would like to try it sometime. However, I am certain I don't want to try it out on this tank.
2. Totally agree with you!

Perhaps I will try to throw together a tree with a far amount of with to it. Something with a fair amount of overhang. Offset from one side. Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post
Tetras are awesome, but personally I like rasboras more (unless we're talking about ember tetras which are amazing!). There are tons of nano fish that could go in there! I have some chili rasboras which I adore, I plan on getting celestial pearl danios or gold ringed danios which are some more types of nano fish. Endlers Livebearers are great nano fish as well! Honestly all of these fish would work: http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

I can't wait to see how this turns out! I'll be watching!!!
Glad I have some interest brewing in a few people here!

I checked out the link. For sure I am digging the chili and the phoenix rasboras! They carry some heavy contrast.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

In my 95G I have around 40 Rasboras and it's one heck of a sight when they actually school(there aren't any bigger fish in the tank do they are the dominant sp).

If you had a few PFR's roaming around your tree scape that'd be nice.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK...sadly I have to ask lol...what are PFR's?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Painted Fire Red shrimp.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ahh..I'm slow lol!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Have you given any thought to Endlers?

~B

~
~
~
~
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Have you given any thought to Endlers?
Not until you mentioned them. Some of the black bars a pretty amazing! Will definitely have to keep them in mind!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode