For all you Fluval 13watt CFL lamp users. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jamesyu Send a message via Yahoo to jamesyu
For all you Fluval 13watt CFL lamp users.

Hi All,

Not sure exactly where this goes, but I thought nano tanks were appropriate since it's mostly used for this.

The fluval replacement bulbs are known to be about 14.00 each bulb.

I found out that the special plastic collar is removable and can be used to push any 2pin 13watt CFL light into it.

I also found a GREAT replacement bulb that is using 7000k at 13watts CFL and costs about 7 times less than the hagen fluval.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayco-13W-...12230215302434

Here's the link. Though the prices vary, I found it tonight at my local walmart for approximately 2.45 per bulb so I bought 4 of them.

Since they recommend using light between 5500k to 10000k I figured when I saw 7000k it was a good buy at 2.45 it's a 13watt 120volt PCL. Should fit exactly into the plastic collar that can be removed if the bulbs go out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 05:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Cohazard
Thank you!!! After I bought this light I was disappointed to learn I needed to buy the fluval replacements.

://Serg

"Brawndo's got what plants crave... it's got electrolytes"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohazard View Post
Thank you!!! After I bought this light I was disappointed to learn I needed to buy the fluval replacements.
One caveat -- the fixture is a Gx23 fixture, the fluval is a PL-13w fixture, you'll have to cut off the tabs and then just glue the collar onto the new light

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
They're about $8 retail. You can buy an entirely new fixture for $25 retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyu View Post
The fluval replacement bulbs are known to be about 14.00 each bulb.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I just saw the price change this morning, yeah the fixtures are coming down in price, use to be 33 -- the bulbs are still not worth it at 8.00 -- I found 10k bulbs with GX23 mounts. A small modification and we'll be A-OK since i can just shave off the mounts and it'll lock in.

ahsupply.com if anyone needs it as well -- I rather have 1x 7000k and 2x 10000k bulb -- should be better to view and for growth.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Where are they 8 at retail?

Quote:
couldn't find the fluval replacements with a quick web search earlier...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Blah fluval is beginning to upset me, cannot buy replacement bulbs without having to saw off the plastic bits with a knife, cannot buy proprietary bulbs from them since they're not available. Bulb breaks in a week.

current:

| retired:

|
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Amazon has some for $11. :/

~B

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:32 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

They're available at Drs. Foster & Smith and dozens of other retailers.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Amazon has some for $11. :/
No idea why I didn't find that, thanks! $11 seems high for a bulb, but ohwell

current:

| retired:

|
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

How's $6.39?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
How's $6.39?
That's much nicer!

~B

~
~
~
~
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:34 AM
ren
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)
Any of you guys have pictures to show the DIY?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here you are Ren. Xenxes has a shot of what was done to the bulb.

~B

~
~
~
~
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry to bump an old thread. I'm just wondering if anyone has new leads or insight for this topic.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode