my 'first' nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
tao
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
my 'first' nano

I was working on my nano-tank (2.5g) and I think one of the plants I would really love to have for a foreground would be Hemianthus callitrichoides, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I could find some?

Also, is there a good rule of thumb for plant selection in nano tanks? When I originally set up my tank I included amazon swords ~9in, java fern on wood and a nymphea lotus ~2 in leaves. Now, I'm trying for more slightly more appropriate plants. It seems like the main objective in nano tanks is to make tiny tanks look bigger or have amano-style 'landscapes'. Can you use larger plants if you keep them trimmed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 10:08 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm planning on Hemianthus callitrichoides for my new nano as well, I'll let ya know if I find some.

- JT
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 01:43 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao
Also, is there a good rule of thumb for plant selection in nano tanks? When I originally set up my tank I included amazon swords ~9in, java fern on wood and a nymphea lotus ~2 in leaves. Now, I'm trying for more slightly more appropriate plants. It seems like the main objective in nano tanks is to make tiny tanks look bigger or have amano-style 'landscapes'. Can you use larger plants if you keep them trimmed?
I don't think there are really any 'rules', after all it's your tiny paradise, so what goes in it should make you happy. I'd experiment, and find what works well for you and your particular nano

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 01:55 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao
Can you use larger plants if you keep them trimmed?
It depends. On the plants.

Some simply grow stunted in a smaller tank. In my 10 gal tank I have an Amazon Sword that comes from a mother plant that almost outgrew a 100 gal tank. I put the little plantlet into the tank thinking of yanking it out when it starts to grow, but it is shaded by others and seems to max out at 4 inches leaf length (25 inches in bigger tank).

Others you can pull out, cut in half, and replant. Like most stemplants. But you would probably want to avoid the real fast growers like Ambulia because they'll drive you nuts.

Some you should just try... Java fern isn't that bad for a small tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I think if you put fast growing stem plants in your tank with the intent of just trimming them a lot, you will eventually get sick of it. They tend to grow to the top of the tank startlingly quick and look terrible when trimmed. That is, unless you uproot them and replant the trimmed tops, which is even MORE work and tends to cloud up your tank.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 11:49 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I got some "Petit Nana" from aquabotanic and it's a beautiful, tiny, hardy plant, probably my all time favorite...

Fig
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 04:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I have some too, and it is GODLY COOL for nano tanks, especially pico tanks.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 07:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Really try to avoid the fast growing stem plants unless you are planning on getting rid of them soon after planting (for stability issues?)

I put in some wisteria thinking I'd replace it sooner or later but I absolutely hate it now. The extreme amount of roots it has filled the substrate with makes it hard to plant anything around it and I have to prune the thing way too often.

I'm trying to find a good background plant for my 10g that won't take over (baby's tears is really nice I've found), for a 2.5g it must be even harder!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode