1 Gallon Planted Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 Gallon Planted Question

G'Day,
I found a 1 gallon fish bowl in my basement and was wondering how to go about putting plants in it. I have already set up my 29g and a 15g so I am cut off on "big" tanks for a bit. I have seen that there are a lot of options, but I have never done this before. I was going to use soil and cap it with red gravel.
- How much light (CF) do I need?
- What plants can I use for something that small? I currently have crypts, swords, dwarf sag, java fern anubias nana, vals, rotala indica and ludwigia repends in my 15g that I can pull from.
- Does it need a heater? (I don't want to use one)
- From what I understand you don't need a filter as the plants do the work right?
- I have some cherry shrimp I can throw in there.

My water is hard GH 22 and KH 12 pH of 7.8-8.0.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have a bowl set up that is a little over a gallon and in terms of light I would just suggest placing it on a window sill, thats what I am doing.

As for the heater you are probably okay as long as your house isn't terribly cold, id say at least above 60 F to keep your cherry shrimp.

You are correct on not needing a filter as long as you have a high plant content.

Not sure on what plants would be best, I would assume most but you may have to trim them a lot or have a super overgrown jungle look which is cool as well.

Post some pics when you decide!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Youre good with cherry's as long as as you say around 70 no need for heater. As far as plants you want a lot if you plan on going filterless. It will take some time for the water parameters to become stable for the shrimp

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I won't be able to harness sun power as I have twin 2 year olds and all the windows are in their reach. How much wattage would I need from a CF desk lamp? 6500k right? How long would one recommend waiting to add the shrimp? How many shrimp?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
A 6500K cfl desk lamp should be fine. And I wouldn't add more than 10 shrimp. I would suggest using some water from your other tank to jump start the bowl but I dont know specific length of time you should wait. I have ghost shrimp in my bowl and I threw them in right away and they are okay but I am not sure about cherries...

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Roger. Well, maybe I will do the dwarf sag around a crypt and have some vals and some rotala at the back. Any idea about bulb wattage?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Algae Grower

I'm starting a very similar tank, around 1 gallon, no filter, hopefully it will support some shrimps. I planted it last week (java moss, anubis, and one other plant, it's called banana something and its roots are goofy).

At what point can I put shrimp in there? Do I just have to eyeball it and say, yep, those are some grow'd up plants?

I was planning on having it grow out using the nitrogen from the shrimp effluence, but I guess I should wait on that. What should I be adding to it now to get these bad boys to grow?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode