1 month into Cycling Tank - Suggestions? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 month into Cycling Tank - Suggestions?

This tank was setup almost a month ago. A five gallon tank, it is filtered by an Eheim Classic 2211 canister filter. Planted. I bumped the temp up to around 78-79 a few days ago. A couple of weeks ago, I dosed the tank with Tetra SafeStart, in an attempt to give the cycling a little bump. I don't think it did much.

About 3 days ago, the ammonia and nitrites tested the lowest they have tested, thus far, at .25 ppm each. I took this as a good sign, that the bacteria were finally up to doing their job. I dosed the tank with .6 mls of ammonia to get the tank up to 4 ppm of tested ammonia. Two days later, hopeful... the ammonia has dropped to 1 ppm. I was hoping for a zero. Nitrite bumped up to a 5 ppm, which I guess is expected. Nitrates have spiked quite a bit.

No fish are in this tank (until it is cycled and ready), but there are quite a few snails that were introduced via the plants, and are now reproducing readily. I have introduced no food into the tank, just light. The snails are consuming algae, I suppose. There is plenty of snail waste sucked up when I do a water change.

I have been keeping track of my water test results. Do things seem to be normal and on track? I guess I'm getting a bit impatient, but I don't want to introduce fish livestock until the tank is capable. Any suggestions, advice... I would appreciate.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

looks like you are getting there actually, you have established the ammo to trite bacteria and now you are waiting on the trite to trate bacteria to catch up, the nitrates spiking is good, that means you are converting trites to trates, just not enough for 4ppm a day... I was within a week when my 2nd bacteria started converting. My cycle lasted 30 days.
4ppm to 1 ppm in 24 hrs is close, the reason why we do 4ppm a day is because no decently overstocked tank can produce 4ppm a day so if we can convert that, we know the tank can handle any amount of stocking. give it a week and my guess is 0,0,HIGH.... do a big water change before introducing fish like 90% to drop those trates and dont forget that once the tank is cycled to feed the bacteria 1ppm a day until the day before you get fish... BTW, absolutely beautiful scape!

Question, how often do you dose ammo back to 4ppm?

|
|
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Last tank I cycled took about 6 weeks...4-6 weeks is the norm so you are getting there albeit not as fast as you would like. I used ammonia as well and I pretty much maintained 4-5ppm after I saw the initial drop in ammonia. By the end, my tank would go from 5ppm to 0ppm over night. Just make sure you have ammonia in the tank to keep the bacteria well fed and working hard and like Ozydego said, when the time comes, you'll be able to stock all at once if you wanted to because you know the biofiltration can handle it. That's one HUGE advantage of cycling with ammonia over other methods IMO.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

1) What water test kit are you using?

2) Have you considered cycling with yeast CO2 and timed airstone?

3) What fish are u planning for this tank? I would consider small fish such as chili rasbora,endlers?

Since this is a small tank, you will have to do more than average weekly water changes. I keep a spare 3 gallons that is airstone aerated, and do 10-20 water change every other day at first.

80ppm is OK, once again depending on how much and what kind of fish you'll be keeping in it.

Nice log...I dare u to keep it up for the next 5years..just kidding
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Nice looking tank you have there. Your cycle is coming along nicely, and pretty much right on schedule.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

AirstoND
Quote:
1) What water test kit are you using?
I am using an API Freshwater Master Test Kit, liquid titration

Quote:
3) What fish are u planning for this tank?
Before I set this tank up, it was destined to be home for a dwarf freshwater pufferfish. I would also like to keep a small amount of red cherry shrimp, having a hard time finding any LFS that stock them, however.

Ozydego
Quote:
Question, how often do you dose ammo back to 4ppm?
So far, I have only dosed to 4 ppm once, a couple of days ago. I figured that waiting until it was zero before I redose was what I should do. That is correct? I will retest again tomorrow, if it has dropped to 0 or at least less than 1 ppm, I plan on dosing again to 4 ppm ammonia.

Thanks everyone, for the input. I don't have any fish or shrimps inhabitants yet. I still find myself staring into the tank, watching snails, taking notice of plant changes/growth. I don't think I'll be able to take my eyes off of it when there are actual introduced fish/shrimps.

-

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looks like you're almost there!

It would be a great home for a single dwarf puffer. The shrimp will be nice as well, but keep in mind that there are no promises with a puffer as to whether or not they will live! It really depends on the individual.

If you do go with a dwarf puffer, I'd get a snail culture going in big jar or other small tank. The snail population in your tank now should be obliterated within a week of getting your puffer!

-KC

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode