Red Sea Deco Art AquaVase ?s - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Red Sea Deco Art AquaVase ?s

I've been absolutely fascinated with the nano/pico tanks in this area of the forum and I'm interested in trying my hand at this style of tank sometime soon. Eventually, I want to breed some cherry shrimp in a 6-7 gallon, but the idea of a pico has really piqued (ha ha) my interest as well.

I saw this tiny little aquarium at BigAl's for $26.99 including filter and light:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=2173

A few questions:
Does anyone have any experience with this tank?
Does this work out to about a gallon?
Does the light seem adequate for plants?
What kind of inhabitants could go in there? I'm guessing just a couple cherry shrimp? Other ideas?

Looks like it might be fun to play around with, and the price is certainly right. Plus I'm thinking that one bag of flourite might provide substrate for both a 5 gallon and this little tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I don't like the light that comes with it. The adjustable arm on the light makes it impossible to get the light as close to the water as you want. Otherwise I like the tank.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
with some patiance and brute force, you can get the light quite close to the surface....but an easier thing is to rig up something that you can clip the light on that is lower than the tank lip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 01:35 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hi,

It looks kind of like my RedSea 1 gal---maybe smaller? I posted some pix of the one I set up under "Purple Nano" if you want to check that out...

Fig
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 03:27 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's about a gallon, a nice size IMO.
The light that comes with the kit is only 7W, but it looks like there are 13W replacement bulbs in the lighting section of the BA's site - I'm not sure, but they may fit into the same fixture. 13W would give you a lot of possiblities, I'm not sure how well plants will grow under 7W - I'd definitely stick to those that tolerate low light.
I really like the filter that comes with this kit, I bought one for my 1g glass vase and it's the perfect size for a tiny tank.
As for the shrimp, I've got 3 small ghost shrimp in my 1g and they're doing really well. I'm sure a few cherries would be quite happy in your new tank
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 07:35 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have a suggestion . . . just use the walmart daylight coil bulb and one of those socket kits that comes with a socket attached to a cord, a flip, and a dome shaped reflector . . . voila, 19watts of flourescent lighting for a mere $17. heh heh . . .
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great! Thanks for the tips, both on the Aquavase and on possible lighting upgrades. I was planning on sticking with relatively low-light plants in the 1 gallon, but it's good to know that there are possibilities for boosting the light as well!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode