Thanks for everybody's reply. I've actually re-setup the tank after reading Walstad's Ecology for the Planted Aquarium. I'll post an updated pic when I can get a good shot if it. So now the tank has about 1.25 inches of potting soil, and about 1.25 inches of gravel on top. The plants are the same, except I added this grass-like plant. It's kept in front of a south-facing window which gets no direct sunlight. I plan on adding a few more plants. Oh and I also got rid of that huge piece of wood and put in a smaller piece w/ the java moss on it. I'm not going to add any ferts or trace elements nor CO2 and the plants will only get whatever light they get from the window. I might add a small light for nightime viewing though.
Also, thanks for the tips on the shrimp, I might try some out, however, I am going to use this as my betta breeding setup once the tank has been running for a while and I'm 100% sure everything is ok. (I also have to wait for my N. brichardis juveniles to grow up so I can sell them and have a grow out tank available.)
So anyway, thanks again to everybody for their input. I'll be sure to keep you all posted on this Walstadesque experiment of mine. Already this morning I've noticed that the little baby C. wendtii leaves that were starting to come in yesterday have grown about an inch over night, so I'm taking this as a good sign of things to come, but, we'll see....
PS Again, sorry no updated pic... I'll try to get one up later today.