My first nano tank! (pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My first nano tank! (pics)

Hey Everybody! Thanks for everyone's advice in my last post. After your suggestions and looking around at this site, I finally decided to set up my first nano tank and thought I'd set up some pictures to get your feedback. Hope you like it, I do!. It's in an all-glass (I think) 2.5 gal and I've tried to make it as low tech as possible. The plant you see coming out on the left is a brazilian peace lilly which is usually sold as a potted plant. (This one came from my friend's plant that she left in our apartment). I've rotted it in about 1.5 inches of black sand (the bottom .5 inches is sand and laterite mixed together. Do you think I should add more sand? THen there's a couple java ferns, a crypt wendti and the java moss that I'm trying to train onto the driftwood. The rock will eventually be replaced by, i'm thinking, an A. nana, but right now it's helping to hold the non-waterlogged wood in place. I might experiment and put it by the back (south-facing) window, but if it gets too much algae I'll have to move it back. Speaking of algae, would cherry shrimp get along with a female betta? Also, do you think I could use more or different plants?

Thanks again for all your help!

ricardo

PS I just looked at bigger images of the pictures and I guess something I should do next time is clean the tank a little better!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nano 03.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1129  

Last edited by flagg6805; 04-11-2005 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Edited title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Better Pictures...

Hi Y'all! I've moved the tank to the window and took some better pictures...

Ricardo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ricks Nano Window 01.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	1133  

Name:	Ricks Nano Window 04.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	1135  

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what kind of lighting do you have? Looks pretty good, but without lighting it won't go anywhere
the plant in the middle (the yellowish one with triangle shaped leaves) is probably terrestrial, and will wither and die in a tank. Im not sure if bettas eat shrimp, but they probably do. I would get an otto cat.
Why not get a male betta and try to breed them?

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 09:40 PM

I've kept bettas with ghost shrimp before, never been a problem. The shrimp will try to clean the betta and It looks like an attack. I did have one really mean betta named Grendel that would hassle the shrimp, but even then it wasn't much.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 05:39 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
--First thing's first, sorry Thanks, but I'm going to say GAHHH!!!! betta breeding is a SERIOUS MATTER and should NEVER be taken up on a whim by inexperienced and unserious keepers!! Never haphazardly suggest breeding to someone unless they're serious about it!

--Direct Sunlight+Tank=Algae Farm; if you're ok with that than go ahead. If not . . . step away from the window, far away.

--Flourescent lighting is the best option for plants in a nano set up.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Walstad-inspired nano-tank

Thanks for everybody's reply. I've actually re-setup the tank after reading Walstad's Ecology for the Planted Aquarium. I'll post an updated pic when I can get a good shot if it. So now the tank has about 1.25 inches of potting soil, and about 1.25 inches of gravel on top. The plants are the same, except I added this grass-like plant. It's kept in front of a south-facing window which gets no direct sunlight. I plan on adding a few more plants. Oh and I also got rid of that huge piece of wood and put in a smaller piece w/ the java moss on it. I'm not going to add any ferts or trace elements nor CO2 and the plants will only get whatever light they get from the window. I might add a small light for nightime viewing though.

Also, thanks for the tips on the shrimp, I might try some out, however, I am going to use this as my betta breeding setup once the tank has been running for a while and I'm 100% sure everything is ok. (I also have to wait for my N. brichardis juveniles to grow up so I can sell them and have a grow out tank available.)

So anyway, thanks again to everybody for their input. I'll be sure to keep you all posted on this Walstadesque experiment of mine. Already this morning I've noticed that the little baby C. wendtii leaves that were starting to come in yesterday have grown about an inch over night, so I'm taking this as a good sign of things to come, but, we'll see....

peace out,
ricardo

PS Again, sorry no updated pic... I'll try to get one up later today.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 06:24 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Um . . . I wish you luck, but I really don't think you're going to have a good time with this. Planted tanks really need light directed at them-- even low light plants need something. Using sunlight of ANY type for your main light source is asking for both huge algae blooms and dying plants.

You see, it is not the intensity of sunlight that causes algae to grow-- it's the huge range of kelvin in sunlight that has parts not used by plants but is used by algae. It doesn't take a lot of sunlight to cause an algae bloom.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip green... maybe I'll supplement w/ some flourescent lighting to give the plants some direct light and help them outgrow any algae that might want to develop.

rick

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode