New setup help please? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New setup help please?

Hey all,
I'm a new member and after looking at your beautiful tanks I want one. I would like to set up something affordable to put a Betta in. Can someone offer me guidelines to getting started? We DO NOT have a fish store in my town only a Walmart. They want a bunch of money for their small tanks too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 05:53 PM

You could try your local classified ads or an online store. With flat rate, shipping has become pretty easy and cheap (to an extent) for even tanks. Chances are it will cost more money than Walmart though. I thought Petsmart had invaded all over just like Walmart hmmm.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 01:15 AM

If you want to set up a nano (small tank) or pico (<2.5g), the sky's the limit - you don't have to purchase a small tank kit from Wal-Mart; with a little imagination, you can turn many clear containers into beautiful little tanks. I've seen people use clear acrylic waste paper baskets, glass jars and other containers, large brandy snifters, rose bowls, fishbowls, and glass and acrylic food storage containers and more. I found a glass cube vase at a florist shop and added a compact fluorescent desk lamp and nano filter and presto! My own unique pico. Have fun

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 02:39 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
There MUST be a way to get to a settlement that features a petstore.

Besides, it's hard to believe that WM is overly expensive. I mean, how much money do you have to spend? Planted tanks are cheap compared to other hobbies (cars, real estate, etc) but you need to spend a little bit to get started right. Is $50 for a 10gal tank, some substrate, light, and a heater too much?

I would not start nano or pico, this is too easy to screw up. A 10gal tank is probably the smallest I would recommend, although the bigger the better! I had quite a tough time to get my 10 gal tank balanced, it was easier with a 100 gal tank.

Bigger tanks are a little more forgiving if you don't exactly do always the right thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Algae Grower

jss692 - Have you tryed www.craigslist.org ? On the right hand side choose the city closest to you and search for "fish". People are giving away 10gal or 20gal tanks all the time.

Hope that helped
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I typically avoid Walmart like the plague (on principle) but I have to admit that they’re one of the few places in the Seattle area that routinely carries female Betta Splendens. (If anyone knows of an alternative, please let me know.)

This is a warm water fish that likes some room to explore, so even though they’re sold at room temperature and in tiny containers, you should really provide at least five gallons of warm planted water. Also, you should know that Betta (especially the females) can really jump, so seal your tank or be prepared to peel fish jerky off your floor.

These fish are beautiful, have fantastic personality, and many will eventually eat from your fingertips. In my view, they’re WAY underrated.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Walmart....too expensive???

For a really REALLY cheap setup, I would go the Walmart route. If you can't afford the 10 gallon complete setup, just buy the 10 gallon tank. Then, when you have a few more bucks pick up a heater. Then, when you have a few more bucks, pick up a filter, etc. As someone who started out fishkeeping with nearly no spending money at all in college, I have learned how to buy things you can't afford: One piece at a time.
If you think a grand total of about $50 to $100 for a planted 10 gallon, broken up into chunks of, say, $10 purchases is still too much, then you could always check garage sales and online giveaways as a possibility. Otherwise, you are left with nothing but a betta in a vase or little cup as an alternative.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode