co2/oxygen and fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
co2/oxygen and fish?

Hi, I'm planning on adding about 3 fish (dwarf puffers) to my tank tomorrow, and I was just wondering about the co2/oxygen relation in the tank.
I have a 10g with a hagen co2 kit - I've read that there probably isn't a way that this will produce enough co2 to really suffocate fish, but I thought I'd check anyways. I'm getting about 3bpm in the tank (hopefully more once I change to a dIY yeast recipie). I havn't had the proper kits to test the gh/kh so I will get those tomorrow as well.
Or is this just really dependant on how hard my tap water is to begin with? (maybe pH issues?)

The lone otto in there has been prefectly fine and active for over a week now.

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I wouldn't worry about the CO2 levels in the tank. You should be alright. The one thing that I might be concerned with is the ph of the tank. I would keep a close eye on it. I beleive that the hagen system is designed for about 30 gallons, but if you have a heavily planted tank, then the plants will helpfully consume a good part of the CO2 being dispersed.

I am actually building a DIY reactor rather then using the stock difuser sold with the hagen kit. It is supposed to do a better job difusing the CO2 into the water. I have decent growth on my plants as of now, but I would like to make things more efficent with the reactor. If it works out well, I will let you know. You might be able to build a scaled down version for your tank that would optomise the CO2.

How is the lighting in your tank? for a 10 gal, I would shoot for about 35W to 65W and 6500K to 6700K. Between that and the CO2, you should be in good shape.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
3 bpm? wow, you really need to up your CO2 injection. There is absolutely no way to suffocate your fish with that amount of CO2. Also, the plants will produce more O2 if there is more CO2 for them to use, so you really dont need to worry about it. If you ever find your fish at the surface, gasping for air, take out the CO2 injection and measure your PPM. If it is above 35-40, you should lower the amount of CO2 you inject.

Good luck

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Yea I think I got an old batch of the mix the hagen kit came with - I have some champagne yeast on order for my own mix soon.

thx for the info all.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
If you do inject CO2 (3bpm almost doesn't count ) you need to know the kH and pH. KH is the buffer capability of the water (hardness, alkalinity, whatnot) and the lower it is, the quicker pH changes as as result of CO2 injection. If kH is very low, you can crash pH and kill most of the animals in your tank. If kH is high, this doesn't happen, but you need to check pH to see if your CO2 injection is any good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode