1/2 gallon overload - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
1/2 gallon overload

I'm overloaded with 1/2 gallon diamond shaped fish bowls. I was just given 2 dozen of them. Anyone have any suggestions for some good small plants that can go in them?

I was thinking it would make a nice glosso bed with a few cherry shrimp as a side attraction, but I donít know how I can jam enough light into such a small area to promote horizontal glosso growth.

I was also thinking that a single sword plant with the roots grown through a screen and the top out of the water might look nice, but I'm not sure if their leaves will grow out of the water.

I'm going to try various substrates, and various filter methods, but one my ultimate goals is to make a self sustaining environment with one of the tanks. Anyone try this and have some pointers?

Any suggestions would be great...I have lots of bowls to fail experiments with, just not enough ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Please people? I know there are a lot of really imaginative people on this message board...I need ideas.

So far I've got one set up with dirt from outside that has been boiled, filtered, and filtered again. I havenít put anything in it yet because I want to see how it settles first.

Iím making plans to have another one layered with shelves on each side. It will have some kind of natural substrate on the bottom with 2 or 3 small levels and the top will be a level of it's own with a small land plant growing out.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds like you've got off to a great start already!.... just keep experimenting, and ideas should pop into your head.

For flora and fauna suggestions, just browse through the nano tanks here and check out the AGA small tank exhibits for staring pointers...

Not quite sure what you mean by a "diamond" tank, do they stand up on a point??

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

They are diamond shaped, but it's actually a hexagon. they have a flat bottom that 4 inches X 4 inches square, a round opening at the top thatís 4inches in diameter. Theyíre 8 inches tall and 8 inches across in the center.

Kind of like this...

/--\
\__/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 06:54 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I threw some Monosolenium tenerum (Pellia) into my daugther's "no-tech" 10g a few weeks back. It's actually growing okay in there. Possibly no too readily available, but it would make a nice shrimp nest.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 11:49 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'd use one for a snail generator so I could keep my 2 dwarf puffers in escargot...

And another one for a shrimp hidey...

Figgy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode