My crappy 10-gallon after a recent overhaul - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
My crappy 10-gallon after a recent overhaul

Okay, here is my crappy little 10-gallon.
For equipment I'm using two 15-watt 6500k compact florescents for lighting, eco-complete of course (yay! no more milkiness!), hagen C02, and a crappy power filter and heater.

For plants I have 2 java ferns, a bunch of weird tall grass that I don't know the name of, a water onion, some mondo grass, and 3 aluminum plants. I found out that the aluminum plants are terrestrial plants, so they're gonna get yanked very soon. Any suggestions for their replacement?

Right now I have, rather HAD 15 neons (lost 3 of them in the past week), an opaline gourami, and an albino corydora.

Critisize away!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 11:42 PM

Hate to break it to you, but mondo grass isn't an aquatic plant either. =(

Otherwise, it's a great start!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think youíre being a bit hard on yourself; this is a actually a pretty nice looking setup. Iím betting that your Cory is spending plenty of time in that cave, yes? It might like a friend or two, or three, but you donít want to overload the tank, obviously. Itís just theyíre just social fish. I actually have a single Cory that is very chummy with my single striped loach. Any port in a storm, I guess. On the plant front, have you considered Anubias? Theyíre low maintenance and look bigger than they are in smaller tanks.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon
Okay, here is my crappy little 10-gallon.
For equipment I'm using two 15-watt 6500k compact florescents for lighting, eco-complete of course (yay! no more milkiness!), hagen C02, and a crappy power filter and heater.

For plants I have 2 java ferns, a bunch of weird tall grass that I don't know the name of, a water onion, some mondo grass, and 3 aluminum plants. I found out that the aluminum plants are terrestrial plants, so they're gonna get yanked very soon. Any suggestions for their replacement?

Right now I have, rather HAD 15 neons (lost 3 of them in the past week), an opaline gourami, and an albino corydora.

Critisize away!

I hate to break it to you, but mondo grass and aluminum plants are terrestrial, as you already know. Take the java ferns out of the substrate. Tie the roots around a piece of driftwood or rock, and soon the plant will attach itself and grow. Leaving the rhizome buried in the substrate will kill the plant.

Anubias nana is a good idea, just make sure to keep the rhizome out of the substrate as well. Why not try some hairgrass?

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanks
I hate to break it to you, but mondo grass and aluminum plants are terrestrial, as you already know.
wow. that was really dumb.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the responses guys. I just liberated my java plant, and I'm definately gonna ditch the Aluminum Plants and the Monda grass in the very near future. I have considered Anubias but the LFS wants $30 a plant. Maybe it's just me, but this seemed really excessive, so I didn't bother with them. Guess I'll hafta buy some online and maybe pick up some Java moss and hairgrass to make the shipping worth while.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

$30 is WAY high!!! I just paid $8 and felt like I had been robbed.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 04:03 AM
Planted Member

go to the swap n shop on this site, i am sure someone has some spare anubia they would send you for the shipping., shoot i have an anubia nana id give you, but im in CA...try and find some closer. if you cant PM me. i could send you one.

Planted tanks are all about shrimp.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Algae Grower

That tall grassy stuff is probably an acorus which is also not a true aquatic. It does well in swamps and emersed but it too will eventually die. Maybe you need to start a little pond with all those margianl plants?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon
I have considered Anubias but the LFS wants $30 a plant. Maybe it's just me, but this seemed really excessive, so I didn't bother with them.
Any LFS selling Anubias for $30 won't be a LFS for long! I wouldn't doubt there are some decent store near Baltimore which you could do a day trip to...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatNewGuy
That tall grassy stuff is probably an acorus which is also not a true aquatic. It does well in swamps and emersed but it too will eventually die. Maybe you need to start a little pond with all those margianl plants?
Damn, so the only thing that is truly aquatic in my tank is the java fern? I bought all my plants at PetSmart, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 07:20 PM

I was tricked by the mondo gras as well. Damn Petsmart

Anybody know of a plant with a similar look? Preferablely low to mid light?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter95
I was tricked by the mondo gras as well. Damn Petsmart

Anybody know of a plant with a similar look? Preferablely low to mid light?
Microsword, but use high light to keep it short:

https://www.plantedtank.net/plantprofiles/18/
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Algae Grower

Figures. Petsmart is not so smart when it comes to plants although they make an OK effort. I asked the manager at the new Petsmart around the corner if she knew that Mondo Grass and Acorus were not really aquarium plants and she said they sold the plants for ponds also. This sort of irked me because they had no distinction between Pond plants and Tropical aquarium plants. Go figure. I guess this ushers in the age of the BORG pet stores.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Man oh man, my tank looks super empty now that 90% of the plants are gone. All I have left are two java plants. My gourami is now really pale looking too. I don't think it enjoys the lack of overhead cover. I wish I took those plants out sooner. There are tons of rotting fragments of plant leaves floating around in the tank now, which were not apparent before I pulled the plants. On the bright side, I found a small black snail about the size of a ladybug while I was removing the plants. Hopefully I eliminated a potential future snail problem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode