Planning small tank questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planning small tank questions

Just to introduce myself, I have had aquariums of various sizes from 2.5g to 150g FW (planted and fish only). I also currently have a 2.5g saltwater tank for a few months now. What I want to do is make a smaller planted tank for my desk and am trying to figure out a few things before I start making purchases.

The tank will probably be under 1g. Haven't decided completely which size to do yet, but a 2.5 is too big for what I want to make.

The substrate I plan to use is Eco-Complete or Flourite.

I plan to use Hagen CO2 canister at least unless I decide to go with the a small bottle CO2 (I have done a 2litter CO2 chamber before but I think that will be overkill on this tank). The problem right now is diffusion, but for now since it will be such a small tank I am not sure how bad a problem it would be so I can't determine diffusion type until I get an idea what the CO2 level will be.

The lighting I am still figuring out as well and may go with RedSea Dragonfly or maybe a custom PC setup.

The filter will be either RedSea nano filter or AQMini... or maybe a custom made one.... (too much planning to figure out right now)

Plants being considered is some type of short grass (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis?) for bottom cover, moss(java or other) on wood, maybe the smaller type of anubias, and/or small leafed plants.

Now for my questions:

1. Anyone ever used the Hydor Mini heater (found a site that said it is 2.5" by 5" which should bearly fit in the container I was planning to use)? It looks like a pad and can but put until the substrate right? I am trying to determine the best way to heat a little tank without an ugly heater blocking the view. I was also considering using heating cables... My biggest concern is concentrated heat at bottom of tank causing problems such as meltdown or breakage. Anyone with small tanks have a set-up using heaters that are not visible in the tank itself?

2. Inhabitants. I plan it to be mostly plants, but can anything else go in it? snails... shrimps... I doubt fish at this point.

Anything I am forgetting about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd look into not heating a tank this size and just go with plants and shrimp or whatever that don't mind room temperature. If you rally want to inject CO2 into such a small volume (monitoring will be key here, methinks) how about just injecting it into the intake of your filter? The impeller will chop up the bubbles and many of them will stick to your filter media and dissolve. Good luck and please post pictures!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

The problem of putting the output CO2 line to the filter is that it will make the filter sound horrible chopping up the bubbles making it not so relaxing to watch/hear. This can't be good for the filter in the long run as well, I think.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I don't heat or air condition my house... so that is why all my tanks have more than adequate wattage for heating them when it does get cold. But CA doesn't get too cold, which is a good thing.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I made a DIY CO2 bottle and used the smallest diameter tubing I could find. I then snaked the tubing into the output of the nanofilter so that the bubbles would come out under the filterfloss.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 09:51 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
My betta is in a 1gal planted Redsea tank--quite content. The plants look fine and they're in eco-complete, no co2 and I just use ambient heating. The pic is under "Purple Nano"...

Drsfosterandsmith.com has a teeny heater but it would be visible in the tank.

Wouldn't Excel Fluorish be sufficient for co2?

Figgy

Figs

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode